Quick question for those that have Rear ICON 3.0s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
Looking for a little help here. A few months ago I had my rear stock shocks rebuild on my truck and I've become really unhappy with how firm the rear rides now. I know this might be weird but I loved how soft the used/worn shocks used to be... very floaty of speed bumps/potholes/ rough roads. Now I feel like the truck has a very jarring ride in the back. Really regret having them rebuilt... should have just rebuilt my leaking fronts and called it good.

I just came across some used ICON Zeta 3.0s that have been recently rebuilt. How do you feel these Icons do on the street compared to stock fox shocks? Will the adjustment knobs give me enough range to make the rear of the truck nice and soft (more floaty ride) while on the pavement and then firm them up for off road driving?

Just really don't want to make the investment if they won't give me the range I need to fix my complaints with the rebuild fox 2.5s.... Ive read that some feel the ICONS are pretty firm on the road. Just curious if the adjustment knobs will allow me to soften them up enough to fix my issue.

I appreciate your help!
Grant

D

Deleted member 12951

Perhaps they put too much nitrogen psi in your rebuilds?

If you want adjustability, 3.0's or higher is the way to go. What part of the country do you live? Icon knobs need ongoing maintenance if you have snow, ice and salt on the roads.

Adjustment makes tweets that are subtle but you will have to go to one extreme to the other to notice a difference on the street. You notice it more when you are using the shock to its potential when off-roading.

OP
OP
grantoser

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the KC area so yeah I'll have to make sure to keep those knobs greased up. I'll ask the seller to make sure all the knobs still work well with no corrosion. No idea what's going on with the rebuilt shocks... I've been told that's just how they are new. I've had 2 raptors and both were used when I bought them so I've never driven a truck with a new set of shocks until now. The truck is not my daily driver so it'll take me forever to break these shocks in so if rather just find some adjustable 3.0s if that'll do the trick to get back the floaty soft ride I've been missing.

That is if you guys can confirm I can get these Icons to ride how I want...

D

Deleted member 12951

Well I live 2.5hrs south of you in the Springfield area and my Icon knobs need maintenance. I did end up selling my rears awhile back for $1,000.

I have mine adjusted to General Offroad and just left it there, seems to ride good but not sure if its what you are looking for. I have the complete Icon RXT rear system though. Do you still have stock leafs?

OP
OP
grantoser

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I live 2.5hrs south of you in the Springfield area and my Icon knobs need maintenance. I did end up selling my rears awhile back for $1,000.

I have mine adjusted to General Offroad and just left it there, seems to ride good but not sure if its what you are looking for. I have the complete Icon RXT rear system though. Do you still have stock leafs?

Yeah still on stock leafs... Didn't think they were the issue since my blue raptor I sold with my used shocks road amazing... Super soft ride. I guess I could go for the icons and just try it out... I won't sell my stocks still I figure out if I like the icons or not. Cool that you're in Springfield I grew up in Joplin.

Ramathorn178

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far ive been on dead rear shocks w/ stock leaf pack, rebuilt rears w/ stock leaf pack, rebuilt rears with deaver +2 leaf pack and this weekend ill be on icon zetas with deaver leaf pack. I whole heartedly believe the leaf pack is the bigger issue in the rear end. I know some people hate the term night and day difference but, to me it was a night and day difference. With dead rear shocks and with the fresh rebuilts i could watch the bed in the rear just kind of dance around going down the road. when i switch to deavers it just about vanished along with the axle hop. The only reason im going to 3.0s in the rear is because OCD has got the better of me again on matching fronts to the rears (brand wise) because my rebuilt set has like 5k on them, probably wouldve been cheaper to pull the stickers off and paint the blue black, lol.

I guess ill report back after the new install this weekend as ill be tracking some nice miles with them (freeway, crawling and forest service roads).

RAPTURR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
Looking for a little help here. A few months ago I had my rear stock shocks rebuild on my truck and I've become really unhappy with how firm the rear rides now. I know this might be weird but I loved how soft the used/worn shocks used to be... very floaty of speed bumps/potholes/ rough roads. Now I feel like the truck has a very jarring ride in the back. Really regret having them rebuilt... should have just rebuilt my leaking fronts and called it good.

I just came across some used ICON Zeta 3.0s that have been recently rebuilt. How do you feel these Icons do on the street compared to stock fox shocks? Will the adjustment knobs give me enough range to make the rear of the truck nice and soft (more floaty ride) while on the pavement and then firm them up for off road driving?

Just really don't want to make the investment if they won't give me the range I need to fix my complaints with the rebuild fox 2.5s.... Ive read that some feel the ICONS are pretty firm on the road. Just curious if the adjustment knobs will allow me to soften them up enough to fix my issue.

I appreciate your help!
Grant
I've had them for years. Huge improvement over stock. Being fully adjustable you can set the ride to whatever suits you.
If you go to raptor events take a ride in trucks with different suspension so you can feel it for yourself.
You soft/hard may be different then another's
Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding 3.0s increases dampening (ESP icons) which usually results in a stiffer ride.

If smooth is your priority, consider Fox.