Popping sound form front 3.0s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hackleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my fox 3.0s installed on the front of my 2013 raptor. The ride height is all the way up. looks to be mid perch maybe 1/2 inch higher.

When it comes to pot holes, speed bumps or similar size bumps, my shocks make a popping sound. almost as if something is loose. But when it comes to larger bumps or whoops they are silent and very nice.

I am not sure what is making the noise.
I have checked the blue A-arm bolts, they are very very tight
I have checked the top 3 bolts on the shock, they are tight
I have checked the pressure 185psi in the right, 208 in the left

any one else experienced this?

*my dada drives a 2013 raptor also, his blue bolts need to be tightened, it has a little pop on almost every price of gravel. This popping is 4 times louder than that.

Last edited:

jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hackleman, Since the front is up to mid-top perch you are hearing the shocks rebound and fluid pass through the different bypass zones. Who did you get the shocks from? Also PSI should be at 200 on both. The pop is your low speed rebound, since you are on top perch you are hearing it travel through a stiffer bypass zone then if the front was a bit lower

-Jeff

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
check the upper mounts also. earlier fox had aluminum upper mounts that crack. they are now billet steel. make sure the lower bolt is super tight 400lbs. the bypasses will make more of a clicking noise. make sure both shocks are at 200.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's the sound of the tappets you're most Likely hearing! Like Jeff said it's the noise of the fluid passing trough the different bypass zones if everything else is nice and tight that's what the noise is! You think that's loud you should hear larger shocks on race trucks they're extremely loud haha

OP
OP
hackleman

hackleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, im going to lower the truck appx 1in in the front. and try to find someone who can get my right shock up to 200psi. I had them put on appx 2 weeks ago and havent hit anything hard enough to break the top mount. but if this doesnt fix it, im going to pull the shocks and look at the mount. I thanks for the help

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they're the RPG spec 3.0's, there's a good a chance that's just the shock rebounding quickly causing what seems like a popping sound. They are designed to be fast rebounding to maintain contact with the ground as much as possible. Like you said, in the rough stuff it's not noticeable but everyday driving it is. When I first had their 3.0's installed my initial reaction was the same as yours.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here with my rpg's.
I went over everything three times to find out wtf was loose.
Just the minimal rebound damping in the ride zone.
You'll be happy to have it when you're in an off camber turn cresting a hill at 80mph offroad.
The thumping is annoying in some situations, but still infinitely preferable to the way the icons feel every single bump and crack.