Perch mod - with the shocks on the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have been looking into doing the perch mod for quite a while. I had been debating between pulling the shock assembly and adjusting it on the truck. For a couple of reasons, I decided to give it a try on the truck. I followed the same method as JTRAX. I had a buddy come give me a hand, which definitely made the job easier.

I got a lot of good info from this thread:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/how-adjust-fox-shock-perch-height-level-front-6969/

Here is a list of tools I used:
1 x C clamp
1 x Strut compressor set (loaned from the auto parts store)
2 x 1/2" drive ratchets
2 x 3/4" or 19mm sockets
2 x 3/4" or 19mm wrenches
1 x 3/32" Allen key
1 x flat prybar
1 x external snap ring pliers
1 x can Boeshield spray
Rags

The first thing I did was get the truck up on jack stands and remove the wheels. I cleaned the suspension with soap, water and a brush (needed to remove some of the remaining evidence of the TRR!!). I placed a c-clamp to hold the spring up as it was compressed (as suggested by JTRAX). Then, I installed the strut compressors.

IMG00235.jpg

It is a little hard to see the second one in the pic. I took my time getting them situated. We cranked on them at the same time, until the spring was compressed to the point where the spring was loose. At that point, one of us would use the ratchet on one side while the other side was held with a wrench. Once we had clearance, we used the prybar to lift the black plastic liner off of the lower retainer. The set screw was oiled and removed. We compressed the spring until the lower retainer could be lifted clear of the second groove.

I used the snap ring pliers to open up the circlip and move it to the next groove. Then, the set screw was reinstalled and the removed the compressors using the same method as installation.

At each step, I cleaned everything up. I also sprayed the shock body with the Boeshield (as suggested by several folks). I was impressed with the coating it left on the shock and I am looking forward to seeing how it will hold up.

The results:
The front was raised about 1.25 inches. The front end went from about 4.24 inches of down travel to about 3 inches.

Comments:
It took my buddy and I about 1-1/2 hours. That 3/32" set screw is the only English fastener I have found on the truck. I know the top perch is very popular, but that would seem to leave only 1.75" of down travel, which doesn't seem like enough to me (my opinion). I also wish more of the frame was flat and level forward of the tranny mount, sure would make it easier to get both a jack and jack stand under the frame.

I will get it aligned (to the specs recommended by pirate air) and have the SPC camber kits installed on Monday.

For reference, here is the alignment thread:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/your-raptor-its-alignment-539/

Last edited:

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
How did it feel ? I kinda do not trust those rental spring compressers since we are dealing with a truck spring and those are maybe not as strong. There is alot of force in those springs if one breaks.
I would do this mod but I have Fox 3.0 waiting to be installed

Great write up and what is this BOESHIELD tell us more

The Brit

Reaction score
I also did this mod today and was about to post my write up. I went about it in a similar way but wit a few tweaks.

I worked on one corner at a time, jacking the suspension arm directly, thus compressing the spring as much as possible and thus less time, effort and finagling with compressors. Less time cranking on spring compressors is a good thing in my mind. Placed the jack stand under the requisite frame rail and removed wheel.

At this point, I installed 4 spring compressors, 2 were the double prong type that are lower profile and fit on the inside, then 2 of the MacPherson compressors spaced where I could fit them on the outside. Tightened all 4 evenly. Clamped the spring to the spring hat and removed the sway bar nut and then lowered the suspension arm.

This gave me all the clearance to remove the set screw and move the perch assembly up to the middle setting and reinstall the set screw. Compressed air was good for blowing out the dust in the spring perch and other nooks and crannys.

I then moved the suspension arm back up with the jack to minimize the usage of the spring compressors and evenly loosened the spring compressors. Re-install the sway bar nut and the wheel...

Very happy with the results and suppose I'll try to get the truck in for an alignment on Monday.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
How did it feel ? I kinda do not trust those rental spring compressers since we are dealing with a truck spring and those are maybe not as strong. There is alot of force in those springs if one breaks.
I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Maybe in a bit when I run some errands. We weren't getting any sort of creaking or weird sounds out of the compressors, but I definitely wouldn't recommend this method for the top perch. It would require too much load in the system.
Great write up and what is this BOESHIELD tell us more
Here is a link to the product site:
Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

I also did this mod today and was about to post my write up. I went about it in a similar way but with a few tweaks.
Using the jack is a great idea and sounds like it saved you a lot of effort. I wish I would have thought of that. I am not able to visualize this other type of compressor you are talking about. Have any pics?

The Brit

Reaction score
Kaiser, the 2 prong type compressors (same 2 prong hooks on each end of the threaded bar) are the regular type spring compressors. You can see on hiding on the left side of this photo.

7340327134_9b6676c7d7.jpg

The slight bend on the compressor on the right looks concerning huh? Oh well, with 4 compressors on there, it was not going anywhere.

1022433.jpg

Here's a good shot of the access to the set screw.

7340327522_3bdfb53cdb.jpg

Last edited:

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to do? WSI helped/did mine last saturday(actually removed the shocks and did it) and it took us less then 3 hours.(my first time doing it lol)

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you guys are getting it done, but damn, it's only an hour job to do both sides taking the shocks completely off the truck??

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you guys are getting it done, but damn, it's only an hour job to do both sides taking the shocks completely off the truck??

He didnt take them off at all, he adjusted the shocks without taking them off the truck