Options to combat sag during towing/hauling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Before t_j see this and loses his mind at another towing question, no, I'm not trying to increase the towing capacity. I've searched through probably 30 or 40 threads on here and other various F150 forums and haven't found any absolute answer on my dilemma. Either t_j is yelling at someone, or someone posts something saying "yeah it's great!" and never posts again.

What I am trying to do is figure out the best course of action to prevent the nose-up rear sagging of my truck (running mid-perch) when towing my toy hauler or throwing my utility quad in the bed. I love the mid-perch driveability over the lower perch so that isn't an option dropping it back down.

For reference, my trailer is an all-aluminum 23' v-nose with tandem axles and e-brakes. Empty it weighs just a hair over 2000lbs and loaded it's maybe 3500 with utility quads, 3000 with snowmobiles. So nothing crazy, well within the limits of the truck. The quad weighs about 750 pounds. The truck hauls beautifully... except for the nose-up aspect. Mind you, I only tow a few times during the year (holiday breaks mainly) and the rest of the year the truck is my DD.

What I want to know is, what is the best option to prevent rear sag? Should I go with the Deavers +3 or the Firestone Ride-Rite airbag setup? I'm not too keen on the Deavers if they cause more sag but a plusher ride, and I'm not interested in having the bags on 24/7 but I know I can remove them leaving the brackets at least. The leafsprings + SVC or RPG air bump frame kit isn't an option as that's a bit too rich for me at the moment.

Last edited:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally someone with a reasonable payload! A properly spec'd and setup weight distribution hitch should be all you need for nice level towing.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always used a weight distributing hitch and how you set it up is key! I hooked my trailer up first and then jacked the trailer up and then put the bars on and then dropped the trailer back down, this helped a lot. I have since gone to Deaver +2s and I don't get as near the sag as with the stock springs. My trailer weighs 500lbs more than yours btw empty. Good luck!

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
IMG_1919_stitch_zpsysjtodsd.jpg

Stock springs with my 7000lbs toybox. I pretty much sat level and I use a weight distribution hitch...

I went to mid-perch and Deaver +2 in December but didn't get around to using the trialer until July. No pics but I was sagging bad in the back. Almost got stuck on the beach as my front stabilizers were dragging in the beach sand! I have the RPG Stage 1 bump stop kit but I didn't install the bump extensions.

So last month I re-arched to Deaver +3 and a load leaf. My ride is just a good as before (even better off-road) and even with 250lbs of tires/chase rack/gear I sit higher in the rear than I did while empty before the re-arch.

I haven't towed my trailer yet but from experience I should drop about 2 inches or less in the rear (probably less now that I have a load leaf) which should put me level or slightly above. I might not even need the bump extensions. I'll know in a week when I pull my trailer out to prep for ROC Fest II.

I would consider Deaver +3 with a load leaf. Absolutely no regrets ride wise for me. I regret not doing it sooner!

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have Deaver +3's and SVC adj bumpstop which I always move to tow/haul mode when I tow or haul near MAX capacity for truck. It sits level and keeps front tires firmly planted on the ground, awesome setup for my needs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 164
OP
OP
cgibs89

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally someone with a reasonable payload! A properly spec'd and setup weight distribution hitch should be all you need for nice level towing.

The issue with that is that I use my bed to haul the quad two or three times as much as I tow the trailer. So while that would help the towing dilemma, it doesn't help throwing the quad in the bed.

I have Deaver +3's and SVC adj bumpstop which I always move to tow/haul mode when I tow or haul near MAX capacity for truck. It sits level and keeps front tires firmly planted on the ground, awesome setup for my needs.

Steel trailer with bales is pretty impressive being able to keep it level.

I bought the Deaver's +3 last night after contemplating as I had been going back and forth with myself for quite some time now, I just finally made this thread and purchase. I feel as though after hearing Trick_Raptor's and your experience, the +3 will probably be best. As well as hearing everyone's joyous experience of ditching the stock leafs. I'll probably also purchase RPG or SVC bumpstop kit in the near future for another level of confidence.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The issue with that is that I use my bed to haul the quad two or three times as much as I tow the trailer. So while that would help the towing dilemma, it doesn't help throwing the quad in the bed.

Steel trailer with bales is pretty impressive being able to keep it level.

I bought the Deaver's +3 last night after contemplating as I had been going back and forth with myself for quite some time now, I just finally made this thread and purchase. I feel as though after hearing Trick_Raptor's and your experience, the +3 will probably be best. As well as hearing everyone's joyous experience of ditching the stock leafs. I'll probably also purchase RPG or SVC bumpstop kit in the near future for another level of confidence.
I keep a cordless impact in my truck and it only takes about five minutes to adjust cans up or down on SVC kit.

JnJraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run deaver +3 and the svc adjustable bumps. I think this is the ultimate, and you can adjust psi in the bumps if you have a nitrogen tank. I also keep a cordless impact and like mentioned above, I pull the trailer into camp and 5 minutes later I'm ready to off road.