Offroad suspention options that are better than stock and stronger than stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of products for the raptor in the past 6 months of being an owner. I "have a friend"* who is very hard on his Raptor. He offroads it through whoops, soft sand washes, ruts, everywhere. He also uses it to drive to work on the weekdays.

What type of suspension options are proven offroad worthy (not just "I took it in the dirt once" offroad, but like baja tearing up offroad)? I am tired of weeding out mods that are "for show" vs for rugged use.

Anyone have any input on what is built/proven/and supported to be blasting through the desert?

What are some solid offroad mods? Long travel suspension, 18" rear suspension options, front suspension options, settings on shocks, leaf springs, bump stops, skid plates, etc. Anything to help my truck be an offroad machine and make it back home and do it again. I am not doing this for looks (well maybe 10% of me is) but the other 90% wants an offroad machine.

(*I used "my friend" in case Ford tries to this info against a warranty claim someday- you never know.)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Priority number 1: reinforce the frame. RPG, ADD, Outlaw, and SDHQ all make options. I went with RPG and could not be happier or have more confidence in their system.

As for performance enhancements, again there are many great choices out there and again, I put my trust in RPG. Upper control arms, tie rods, RPG specific National leaf springs, bumpstop kit, RPG specific front and rear Fox 3.0s (on my wish list)... add those things and you've built yourself a truck that is "roll cage fast".

Give them and any of the other quality vendors we have here a call. Even if you don't order anything, I think you'll find the conversations very informative and educational.

Last edited:

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I also just went with the RPG Stage 3 kit I bought through Raptor Addict and can't wait to put this bad boy on.
Also on my wish list is the FOX 3.0 front and rear, upper control arms, and tie rods.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Priority number 1: reinforce the frame. RPG, ADD, Outlaw, and SDHQ all make options. I went with RPG and could not be happier or have more confidence in their system.

As for performance enhancements, again there are many great choices out there and again, I put my trust in RPG. Upper control arms, tie rods, RPG specific National leaf springs, bumpstop kit, Fox 3.0s front and rear (on my wish list)... add those things and you've built yourself a truck that is "roll cage" fast.

Give them and any of the other quality vendors we have here a call. Even if you don't order anything, I think you'll find the conversations very informative and educational.

FRF is a great place for information and great vendors. Alot of the vendors have logged a lot of offroad miles.. I also went with RPG, after several phone calls, and uncountable amount of emails. I suggest reading reviews on FRF and narrow down the vendors. Then talk to the vendors about their products. Ask questions, and don't take "because we say so, or that how we designed it."

I also went with RPG. I have their stage 3. Their stage 4 with all supporting mods is amazing.

Raptor Performance Group | "The Bump Stops Here"

Their Stage 4+ kit is amazing... Maybe by next Texas Raptor Run...

-Greg

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Reading your post, I believe the first question I would ask is "How deep are your pockets?"

I thinking for about $12K you can get about all that RPG offers.

If I remember one of the other vendors (I'm thinking Outlaw) was showing off their 18" travel front suspension (no idea what that may cost).

Give all the ones BigJ mentioned a call and ask what's the best "total off-road package" they can do.

Hell, it's only money.

I have been upgrading with RPG and hope to soon add the + to my RPG Stage 4 suspension.
After that their larger UCA (and I'll need wheels with more backspace, preferrably forged aluminum)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading your post, I believe the first question I would ask is "How deep are your pockets?"

I thinking for about $12K you can get about all that RPG offers.

If I remember one of the other vendors (I'm thinking Outlaw) was showing off their 18" travel front suspension (no idea what that may cost).

Give all the ones BigJ mentioned a call and ask what's the best "total off-road package" they can do.

Hell, it's only money.

I have been upgrading with RPG and hope to soon add the + to my RPG Stage 4 suspension.
After that their larger UCA (and I'll need wheels with more backspace, preferrably forged aluminum)

$12k is a lot, but worth it if that keeps this puppy from breaking on me. Is that $12k in just parts, or labor?

I was going for HP, but I think i need suspension more.

I'll have to save up, hopefully in about a year I can save that or most of it.

For $12k, what would my Raptor be able to handle offroad? Whoops size, etc.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$12k is a lot, but worth it if that keeps this puppy from breaking on me. Is that $12k in just parts, or labor?

Definitely do suspension instead of power. Stock the truck can overdrive the suspension.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Here, watch this. Study it, even. Its RPGs truck with the parts I mentioned installed, running bone stock power. If you want to go faster than this or push harder than they do, your next mod really needs to be a full roll cage.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here, watch this. Study it, even. Its RPGs truck with the parts I mentioned installed, running bone stock power. If you want to go faster than this or push harder than they do, your next mod really needs to be a full roll cage.

If not a full cage at least a bolt in harness cage with 5point..

-Greg