OEM Front Shock Shims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nowplaying

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about the shims in the front shocks. Took the shocks off and wasn't paying attention to the position of these shims. Found pictures online of the top shim (the one above the mount plate). This one is aligned with the fat end on the tire side. But unsure about the shin on top of the shock under the shock mount. Is this one the mirror opposite of the top shim or aligned at the same angle?? I'm thinking its opposite since its purpose is to provide a straight mounting plate for the angled shock. Please help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have them on the correct side. Not joking. I think they have D or P. May be R & L in the shock label PN.

OP
OP
nowplaying

nowplaying

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Good to know there's a left and right also.

The shin positioning makes complete sense now. As Huck stated the shim under the shock mount needs to be positioned so the angled shock sits flat inside the upper mount. And than the shim on top of the mount is used to offset the lower shim angle so the nuts tighten flush.

Not sure if any of that makes sense but it makes sense in my head. :)

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks all. Good to know there's a left and right also.

The shin positioning makes complete sense now. As Huck stated the shim under the shock mount needs to be positioned so the angled shock sits flat inside the upper mount. And than the shim on top of the mount is used to offset the lower shim angle so the nuts tighten flush.

Not sure if any of that makes sense but it makes sense in my head. :)

That does make sense.

Also, the three mounting bolts are not evenly spaced. So, as long as the spacer is right side up, it should only fit one way.

scarrjack

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There we go, I learned something new today. I have never touched my front shocks yet so this is all new to me although I will be putting on the Geiger Bros. Progressive springs when they are ready.