Newbie question about hydraulic bump stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize if I am stepping in an age old question everyone is tired of hearing and responding to, but I DID try the search first and turned up no pertinent results. So here goes:

Has anyone replaced the stock rear rubber bump stops with a Fox Air Bump 2.0 hydraulic bump stops? I am seeing a 2' and a 2.5' and I am thinking with 11" over all and 8.5" compressed, I should be able to make these work. The bed is currently removed from my 2010 SCAB and I am going to take some measurements later today and see if I can figure this out. However, if plenty have already tried and failed...well, I don't want to waste my time.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing the measurements, I don't see this happening. After I get the bed back on I will revisit with her up on a rack...but not looking good. :Stupid Me:

OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I want to figure out how to make this work...anybody?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Plenty of companies make replacement bumpstop kits. SVC/RPG/ADD/ROGUE etc...

Why not just go with that?

I wasn't clear on what you are trying to accomplish and why it is different than the already available kits. Can you elaborate?

OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of companies make replacement bumpstop kits. SVC/RPG/ADD/ROGUE etc...

Why not just go with that?

I wasn't clear on what you are trying to accomplish and why it is different than the already available kits. Can you elaborate?

Well...it may be the engineer in me wanting to build a better mousetrap or it simply could be the Raptor Tax applied to the $1500-$2200 systems you mentioned. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazingly engineered systems like the REAR CANTILEVER SUSPENSION KIT by Rogue. Wow, stunning...but I live in Alabama and don't have 1000s of miles of desert trails out in my back yard. I have washboarded fire roads and trails through lush green woods with no place to run all out with my foot flat on the floor.

I cannot believe is not a middle ground between an OEM $16 rubber barrel and a 100X more expensive engineered aftermarket solution designed for off-road racing. Granted, my vehicles are not street queens, however, I don't intentionally launch repeatedly off moguls either.

When I bought this truck to rebuild, the previous own had replaced the OEM bump stops with firestone airbags. Upon the removal of those I needed to install some type of bump stop. I was looking for an alternative to purchasing the OEM rubber and simply did not find any real options. Sure, as you pointed out, there are engineered solutions that are complete overkill for my application. I looked at the heavy brackets that came with the Firestone airbags and figured I could use those to fabricate retainers for a set of hydraulic bump stops. The more I thought about it the more I figured someone in this community had previously said no to the expensive alternatives and designed a viable middle ground product.

Guess I was wrong...

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
if you wanted to go cheap you CAN do DIY. They sell cans that hold the bumps then you just weld those to the frame using brackets you build yourself. It's just a matter of whether or not you want to take the time to fab it.

Mock it up, build it and come show us what you came up with. That's the best stuff to read on here. Best of luck!

OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mock it up, build it and come show us what you came up with. That's the best stuff to read on here. Best of luck!

Thanks! My new bed is being delivered tomorrow so by next week I should be able to start taking measurements and making some decisions. The reason I started this thread was in hopes someone else had already scouted and/or conquered this territory. I ain't skeered :biggrin:

I'll keep ya'll posted on my thoughts and discoveries along the way...

boarder1995x2

Reaction score
Not sure where you were intending to place the bumps? If you put them in the "stock" location where the original rubber bumps were, you'll lose tons of up-travel. Then, just outboard that are where the leafs tuck up in during compression. Thus, the various systems out on the market hang the hydraulic bumps further outboard to impact against a flat plate on the axle.

If you were to go sprung-under, you could custom mount bumps just outboard of the frame since the springs would be on the underside of the axle.