New Owner question about wheel hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beallen25

Reaction score
I am a new owner of a 2011 Crewcab with 82k on the clock, and it has Fuel Trophy wheels and Toyo Open Country R/T tires (all in stock size and offset).

So I have a pretty basic question about the amount of wheel hop I am seeing out of my truck. Of course once you own one and put a few hundred miles in the seat you notice things you didn't pick up on during the buying process.

I know the dynamics of the suspension make the truck feel a little "floaty" on the road, but when I hit potholes/bumps/rough bridge junctions at 45 to 70(ish) MPH I get what feels like a wheel hop. Over all it absorbs the primary impact nicely and feels smooth, but there is a quick vibrations, maybe 3 hops.

I know it is not a simple yes or no but:
Is this pretty common, or have I got something else going on?

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the air pressure in the tires. too high or to low can be issues on the road. i run mine at 36-38 on the road. that is cold air pressure check with a gauge not the truck tpms. if you are in that range then truckzor is spot on.

also toyo r/t are e rated 10ply. they will be stiffer on the road but are great for off road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beallen25

Beallen25

Reaction score
Yeah, its funny you mention the tire pressure because at first I thought the same thing. Felt like the guy I bought it off of was running 70psi, but I checked and I was pleasantly surprised they were at 38psi on all four corners. And to your point 10ply tires arent exactly made with a smooth ride in mind.

Earlier I called up what I thought was a very reputable off road shop here in middle TN getting a price on bleeding & refilling the nitrogen and a possible rebuild, just to see if I have any local options. Plus I thought maybe try a nitrogen fill up might do the trick because, the truck is crazy clean. I crawled around underneath it for 20 minutes before I bought it and could find zero evidence it had ever been off road, so either someone did a damn good job of cleaning up their mess or it has been babied.

the gentleman on the phone said absolutely we can get you in on the 28th, boom done. Then he went back and talked to their techs and they told him the Fox Struts on the Raptor were not nitrogen serviceable and not rebuild-able. I guess that I will not be having them work on my truck... kinda sucks but if they don't know they are serviceable then they have probably not ever worked on any of them.

I have all the equipment, minus the nitrogen tank, I would be just as well to do it in my shop.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Yeah, its funny you mention the tire pressure because at first I thought the same thing. Felt like the guy I bought it off of was running 70psi, but I checked and I was pleasantly surprised they were at 38psi on all four corners. And to your point 10ply tires arent exactly made with a smooth ride in mind.

Earlier I called up what I thought was a very reputable off road shop here in middle TN getting a price on bleeding & refilling the nitrogen and a possible rebuild, just to see if I have any local options. Plus I thought maybe try a nitrogen fill up might do the trick because, the truck is crazy clean. I crawled around underneath it for 20 minutes before I bought it and could find zero evidence it had ever been off road, so either someone did a damn good job of cleaning up their mess or it has been babied.

the gentleman on the phone said absolutely we can get you in on the 28th, boom done. Then he went back and talked to their techs and they told him the Fox Struts on the Raptor were not nitrogen serviceable and not rebuild-able. I guess that I will not be having them work on my truck... kinda sucks but if they don't know they are serviceable then they have probably not ever worked on any of them.

I have all the equipment, minus the nitrogen tank, I would be just as well to do it in my shop.

They're not hard to rebuild at all, and there's a DIY guide in the suspension section. You don't need a very big N2 tank to do the job either. One of those little power tanks will do quite a few shocks.

at 82k it's definitely time to do a full refresh on the ol' shocks. You can also add schrader valves to them so they are easier to service in the future. In the stock config you need the fox needle fill too in order to fill them.

There's a few shock rebuilders on here that you can send your shocks to to get them done if you don't want to mess with it as well.

If you've got questions on DIY feel free to PM me as well.

OP
OP
Beallen25

Beallen25

Reaction score
They're not hard to rebuild at all, and there's a DIY guide in the suspension section. You don't need a very big N2 tank to do the job either. One of those little power tanks will do quite a few shocks.

at 82k it's definitely time to do a full refresh on the ol' shocks. You can also add schrader valves to them so they are easier to service in the future. In the stock config you need the fox needle fill too in order to fill them.

There's a few shock rebuilders on here that you can send your shocks to to get them done if you don't want to mess with it as well.

If you've got questions on DIY feel free to PM me as well.

Yeah I have been studying the DIY Rebuild for a few days, because I was sold on this Shock Exchange deal until I looked at the shipping price to get the struts from TN to CA and back... There are a few things that are not super clear to me so I may take you up on that offer, but over all it looks pretty easy. And the most expensive part is the nitrogen fill hardware

Side bar question, why are there not schrader valves that have the same thread pitch as the stock needle fill valves? I mean drilling and tapping them is no the end of the world, I have the drill press and tapes, but I would pay 4x more to get schrader valve that I do not have to start cutting on my shocks!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Yeah I have been studying the DIY Rebuild for a few days, because I was sold on this Shock Exchange deal until I looked at the shipping price to get the struts from TN to CA and back... There are a few things that are not super clear to me so I may take you up on that offer, but over all it looks pretty easy. And the most expensive part is the nitrogen fill hardware

Side bar question, why are there not schrader valves that have the same thread pitch as the stock needle fill valves? I mean drilling and tapping them is no the end of the world, I have the drill press and tapes, but I would pay 4x more to get schrader valve that I do not have to start cutting on my shocks!

Forged sells some schrader valves that fit the stock thread pitch. I want to say they're $80. I just did mine myself though. It took about 10 mins with the shocks apart

OP
OP
Beallen25

Beallen25

Reaction score
Forged sells some schrader valves that fit the stock thread pitch. I want to say they're $80. I just did mine myself though. It took about 10 mins with the shocks apart

How did I miss that?! I have been going scorched earth on my hunt for stock thread pitch schrader valves and they were at the same place as the rebuild kits I was planning to order...

Appreciate the help! This is one of the more useful forums I have ran across, but I also own a bunch of Subarus so you can guess what I have been dealing with LOL.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
How did I miss that?! I have been going scorched earth on my hunt for stock thread pitch schrader valves and they were at the same place as the rebuild kits I was planning to order...

Appreciate the help! This is one of the more useful forums I have ran across, but I also own a bunch of Subarus so you can guess what I have been dealing with LOL.

We like to pitch shit here too but you'll get legit help along with it usually. It's not what it once was but it's still pretty damn good here. Glad I could help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk