My truck is starting to ride like Sh*t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past few months I've noticed my truck riding like shit on the street. While its not quite as bad as a lifted CJ-5, the smooth plush ride is just about gone. This is getting me thinking, what the hell is wrong with my truck?!?

Now before you all refer me to the shock rebuild threads, let me clarify. My truck has currently 41,*** miles on it, the last 5,000 have been at mid perch. The shocks were rebuilt by Werebuildshocks.com at about 32,000 miles and were revalved with a flutter stack. I replaced the worn out lower shock bushings 5,000 miles ago with the forged offload spherical bearing bushings. I have not noticed any loose balljoints, tierods or leaking shocks when overlooking my truck.

Symptoms - The truck seems to "shudder" over pot holes, degrading asphalt and poorly patched streets. Both front and rear end. By shudder I mean a hard initial hit, then vibration for another car length when traveling between 10-40 miles an hour. Anything over 50 mph, everything smoothes out. If I were talking about adjustable shocks, I would say it feels like the high speed valving is cranked all the way in (the stiffest). Now since I still have factory 2.5's I'm stuck scratching my head. When these shocks loose their nitrogen charge, they usually get squishier.

Has anyone experienced a degrading ride in their truck? If so, what were the issues. I'd start disassembling things, but it won't quit raining...

Full disclaimer - I am ordering Icon 3.0's next month and want to order parts once. If there is anything to add to the parts list, my budget minded ears are open.

Reaction score
Over the past few months I've noticed my truck riding like shit on the street. While its not quite as bad as a lifted CJ-5, the smooth plush ride is just about gone. This is getting me thinking, what the hell is wrong with my truck?!?

Now before you all refer me to the shock rebuild threads, let me clarify. My truck has currently 41,*** miles on it, the last 5,000 have been at mid perch. The shocks were rebuilt by Werebuildshocks.com at about 32,000 miles and were revalved with a flutter stack. I replaced the worn out lower shock bushings 5,000 miles ago with the forged offload spherical bearing bushings. I have not noticed any loose balljoints, tierods or leaking shocks when overlooking my truck.

Symptoms - The truck seems to "shudder" over pot holes, degrading asphalt and poorly patched streets. Both front and rear end. By shudder I mean a hard initial hit, then vibration for another car length when traveling between 10-40 miles an hour. Anything over 50 mph, everything smoothes out. If I were talking about adjustable shocks, I would say it feels like the high speed valving is cranked all the way in (the stiffest). Now since I still have factory 2.5's I'm stuck scratching my head. When these shocks loose their nitrogen charge, they usually get squishier.

Has anyone experienced a degrading ride in their truck? If so, what were the issues. I'd start disassembling things, but it won't quit raining...

Full disclaimer - I am ordering Icon 3.0's next month and want to order parts once. If there is anything to add to the parts list, my budget minded ears are open.
I had a similar issue in my 2010 after 70k miles on the original shocks. The truck was rough over pot holes and the street ride was noticeably worse. I always assumed it was the shocks, but I planned on trading it in and never bothered fixing it. Glad I didn't pay for a rebuild from the sounds of it. Hope someone else can give you more insight on a fix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is noticeably more harsh with my 37" BFG KM2s. Good bit more body roll too. Of course, I expected some body roll out of the larger voids and siping in the mud terrain tread design and taller sidewall, but didn't expect the must harsher ride. My new tires are currently at the 50 psi listed on the sidewall...thinking about bringing it down to 44 psi, but need to read up on what OEM says about air pressure in these first.

By the way, mine is a 2014 w/ 49k miles and almost ZERO off-road--and certainly no jumps. Not that I'm against that sort of thing...just haven't gotten around to it. Just went to mid-perch before getting the 37s a few days ago. Shocks have never been rebuilt, but wondering if I should do those now.

Last edited:

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve also had a terrible ride on the street lately, almost dangerous on some roads it felt like. Fresh rebuilds arrived today with flutter stack. Geisers have been sitting on the shelf. Everything goes in on Friday to the shop. I’ll update after the weekend to say if I felt a noticeable change.

Sent from my Raptor using Tapatalk.

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue in my 2010 after 70k miles on the original shocks. The truck was rough over pot holes and the street ride was noticeably worse. I always assumed it was the shocks, but I planned on trading it in and never bothered fixing it. Glad I didn't pay for a rebuild from the sounds of it. Hope someone else can give you more insight on a fix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I had the shocks rebuilt there was a huge difference in on and off road ride quality. Worth the $700? Yes. But I’m starting to think I’ve just worn them out again. I don’t jump my truck or go bombing through whoops, but I do use it as a support vehicle in Baja. Since the rebuild I’ve probably put 1,500 miles of rough “graded” roads on them. Not a lot by any means, but add 100+ degree temps into the mix, and I may have cooked them good. Like I said, icon 3.0’s are next on the list, but the degrading ride seems to be something more than shocks.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

I’ve also had a terrible ride on the street lately, almost dangerous on some roads it felt like. Fresh rebuilds arrived today with flutter stack. Geisers have been sitting on the shelf. Everything goes in on Friday to the shop. I’ll update after the weekend to say if I felt a noticeable change.

When I did the initial rebuild the previous ride quality hadn’t degraded much, but I could still tell a huge difference with the flutter stack. You will be presently surprised. Try it with the stock springs first.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had the shocks rebuilt there was a huge difference in on and off road ride quality. Worth the $700? Yes. But I’m starting to think I’ve just worn them out again. I don’t jump my truck or go bombing through whoops, but I do use it as a support vehicle in Baja. Since the rebuild I’ve probably put 1,500 miles of rough “graded” roads on them. Not a lot by any means, but add 100+ degree temps into the mix, and I may have cooked them good. Like I said, icon 3.0’s are next on the list, but the degrading ride seems to be something more than shocks.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

When I did the initial rebuild the previous ride quality hadn’t degraded much, but I could still tell a huge difference with the flutter stack. You will be presently surprised. Try it with the stock springs first.

I would, but since I don’t have access to everything to do it myself, I would rather pay for the labor once. Since it’s already all off, may as well swap it all at once.

Unless you’re saying the geisers may have a negative effect?

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would, but since I don’t have access to everything to do it myself, I would rather pay for the labor once. Since it’s already all off, may as well swap it all at once.

Unless you’re saying the geisers may have a negative effect?

On road I’ve heard they are harsh. Off-road I’ve heard they improve in big G outs. I don’t know what their spring rate is, but geiser isn’t known for building things that are for the street.

But I digress. Some one suggest what’s wrong with my truck. Laying on a creeper in the rain isn’t what I want to do this weekend.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

maybe new leaf springs could be added to ur list it might help

I thought about that, but leaf springs don’t usually get more stiff over time. If money was no object and I had a 2 post lift, I would do it. I need to look into local install costs first. First possible solution suggested. You get a free luke warm tecate.