Mid Perch topping out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark.H

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've done the Mid Perch and love all but one of the effects, I notice my truck is topping out over speedbumps as the suspension compresses, lifts the nose and then as the bump ends and the ground drops away the suspension tops out with a mild "thunk!".

Is this common and will it do any damage? I am not hitting the speed bumps any faster than any other traffic on the road.

I'd rather go back down a notch and deal with the stupidly soft front than destroy the front shocks on a new truck.

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A clunk is common if you didn't get the lower shock mount torqued down enough when you or whoever did the mid-perch,it should be something like 408 ft/lbs. I normally just put a bar on mine and crank it as hard I can. I would also check all other bolts as well.

OP
OP
M

Mark.H

Reaction score
A clunk is common if you didn't get the lower shock mount torqued down enough when you or whoever did the mid-perch,it should be something like 408 ft/lbs. I normally just put a bar on mine and crank it as hard I can. I would also check all other bolts as well.

But it is from the shock suddenly topping out that I'm hearing a clunk not from something being loose. I did the mid perch without removing anything, it was quite easy to do.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, normal.
No, wont hurt the shock.
When the shock hits the internal extension stop, it's gonna be more pronounced.
Only shocks I recall having problems with the shaft breaking during hard extensions were the early 2010's due to a bad run of shafts.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just thinking this through, but if it's truly topping out, aren't you just about a millimeter from catching air? Wouldn't that mean your front suspension is fully extended?
I'm at mid-perch and I don't think I could top those shocks out no matter how fast I hit a speed bump. In fact, the faster I hit them, less likelihood. You sure that's really what's happening? I just had a clunk fixed that ended up being a blown shock.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really doubt you are topping the shocks going over speed bumps. I never topped mine until I did Havoc, and belive me you will know when they top hard.

Put a jack under the truck and jack up the frame until the front tires come off of the ground. Is your truck lifting up that far over speed bumps?

I hit the big speed humps here in town at 40+ and the truck just sucks them up.

OP
OP
M

Mark.H

Reaction score
I'm 100% sure I'm topping them out, not hard but I never did on the lower perch, I was just looking for confirmation that its ok. As there haven't been any replies saying its a common thing and to watch out I will assume all is ok. My race car shocks and my bike both have rubber bushes in the damper so when the shock reaches maximum travel the bush absorbs some of the shock. I assume these shocks are the same.

Its on a building site and they're fierce bumps meant to slow down huge trucks. Enough for my Audi A5 to scrape the underneath going over them. Thanks for your contributions though guys.

mkelly984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the case the shocks were designed and installed knowing the tires would leave the ground. I (and I'm sure several others) jump the truck pretty regularly and haven't had any issues with the shocks. I wouldn't worry about it too much.