Mid perch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

64auto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to do Mid perch but don't trust anyone locally with my truck. I am taking a road trip to Memphis TN This weekend. Does anyone know someone around that area that does it and can be trusted

Trav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the resources available to you.

Pretty easily done in a drive way with mostly common hand tools. The only thing you need that is a specialty tool is spring compressor which can be rented from auto zone.

Took me a day to do mine.

Reaction score
I did mine last Wed. took me an hour to do one side and 15 minutes to do the other. I didn't remove anything but the tire on the second side. Just compressed the spring with Jack, tightened the spring with spring compressor I borrowed from auto zone, drooped out the a arm, moved to mid perch, then took it to the alignment shop. Guy said the alignment was out. 002". Real easy mod.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to jump on your thread. I put on R1 rotors yesterday and decided since the front was on stands I would try to go to mid perch. I tried using my heavy duty spring compressors but the tabs were to long to fit in and even if they could the U bolt that holds the springs was to small in diameter.. I went and bought the smaller claw looking compressors and went to work. After 2 hours of the F:king compressors slipping off I finally got them compressed enough to see the set screw and that was it. The washers bound up and I couldn't get the springs any more compressed. The last hour I gave up. Put everything back and quit. WHO MAKES A SPRING COMPRESSOR that fits and will hold and is strong enough to compress our springs? I am not a novice but this is the first time I ever quit and gave up on a mod. I was an inch away. Unless you have the right compressor don't start this mod. Everything else was easy. I even got the set screw loose and the collar to move up enough to see the c ring. Just not far enough.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

I did mine last Wed. took me an hour to do one side and 15 minutes to do the other. I didn't remove anything but the tire on the second side. Just compressed the spring with Jack, tightened the spring with spring compressor I borrowed from auto zone, drooped out the a arm, moved to mid perch, then took it to the alignment shop. Guy said the alignment was out. 002". Real easy mod.

Why did you drop the A arm?

Reaction score
Going to jump on your thread. I put on R1 rotors yesterday and decided since the front was on stands I would try to go to mid perch. I tried using my heavy duty spring compressors but the tabs were to long to fit in and even if they could the U bolt that holds the springs was to small in diameter.. I went and bought the smaller claw looking compressors and went to work. After 2 hours of the F:king compressors slipping off I finally got them compressed enough to see the set screw and that was it. The washers bound up and I couldn't get the springs any more compressed. The last hour I gave up. Put everything back and quit. WHO MAKES A SPRING COMPRESSOR that fits and will hold and is strong enough to compress our springs? I am not a novice but this is the first time I ever quit and gave up on a mod. I was an inch away. Unless you have the right compressor don't start this mod. Everything else was easy. I even got the set screw loose and the collar to move up enough to see the c ring. Just not far enough.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Why did you drop the A arm?

The spring compressors were giving me HELL too. I was trying to go more in the front and ran into the same problem where the bolt was hitting the shroud. You have to take off the compressor head and slide it up the back side, between the shroud and spring, then feed the bolt into it. I thought they were too big at first, even went back to autozone to see if there was a smaller one. The other thing is that those spring compressors are a B*&CH to turn the further they're compressed. I was really putting my back into it the last half inch or so. Also trying to keep both moving at relatively the same rate will help ALOT. After I got the first side done I looked online and found this video, which I should have done in the first place, lol. The only thing I did that was different the second side was to not disconnect anything and it worked fine. https://youtu.be/aqJXF0KYp0I

A arm, lower control arm, I meant the whole thing really. I used a jack to compress the spring enough to lift the truck barely off the stands so I didn't have to do more cranking on the spring compressors, if that makes sense. after I got the spring compressed enough I let down the suspension all the way which gave me way more than enough to move that clip up to that mid position.

Sorry if that's all over the place, online instructions are not my forte.

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not hard at all to remove the struts. With the strut off the truck, it makes it easier and safer to compress the spring. You can also clean it while it's off.

You want to get a McPherson Strut compressor, not a coil spring compressor.

Reaction score
It's not hard at all to remove the struts. With the strut off the truck, it makes it easier and safer to compress the spring. You can also clean it while it's off.

You want to get a McPherson Strut compressor, not a coil spring compressor.
Why is it safer removing the strut?

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is it safer removing the strut?

Because you can get the compressors evenly spaced and compress the spring further than if you were trying to compress the spring from the open side of the shock mount housing. If you don't compress them evenly you have a greater chance that the compressor will slip off.

Reaction score
Because you can get the compressors evenly spaced and compress the spring further than if you were trying to compress the spring from the open side of the shock mount housing. If you don't compress them evenly you have a greater chance that the compressor will slip off.
You can space the compressors 180° out from each other while they're still on the truck so I still don't follow. I would think that as a bonus even if they did slip having them mounted would be the safer place for them to be in the event of a failure? Always open to being learned but I'm just not following the logic unless you're taking them off and doing it with a press.

Reaction score
Need some advice

I attempted the mid perch today. I've watched the YouTube video over and over. My problem was that I couldn't get enough seperation from the coil and lower perch. Any suggestions or different ways to accomplish this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks