Mid Perch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
Have you guys with mid-perch noticed a lot of front end chatter over occassional small bumps at highway speeds shen street driving?
I've haven't read or heard much about it but was a bit surprised by it the first few times after making the change.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
I had read that thread at one point but I guess I had just dismissed it as some guys that couldn't handle a stiffly sprung vehicle. Maybe it's the same thing and just the extra spring preload... feels a lot like head shake on a motorcycle, it's pretty violent.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local tire/alignment shop did mine 3 years ago for $75 including alignment. They are the go to guys in town for any 4WD upgrades, etc.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had read that thread at one point but I guess I had just dismissed it as some guys that couldn't handle a stiffly sprung vehicle. Maybe it's the same thing and just the extra spring preload... feels a lot like head shake on a motorcycle, it's pretty violent.

The way you describe it doesn't sound like it's just the added pre-load. The pre load adds a bit more stutter to small square edge chop than you experience on bottom perch. How many miles are on your shocks? May be in need of a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I didn't really care for the feel of mid perch when I first went to it. I kind of felt like the truck went from a F150 to a F250, but I got used to it. I just installed Geiser Bros springs and rebuilt shocks on low perch and couldn't be happier. Same ride height as mid perch with OEM springs, but it handles the small stuff sooooo much better.

Edit: I also went from the OEM KOs to Toyo RTs when I went to mid perch so that probably also played a role in the stiffer ride.

Last edited:

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
The way you describe it doesn't sound like it's just the added pre-load. The pre load adds a bit more stutter to small square edge chop than you experience on bottom perch. How many miles are on your shocks? May be in need of a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shocks were just rebuilt a few hundred miles ago through the exchange program so I'm pretty confident we're good there. I've only had it happen a couple of times and it only appears to happen in a narrow range of speed ~60-70 mph. Maybe it's the same as what you're calling stutter. Might have to give those progressive springs a shot if I cant find anything wrong. If that's the case, it's a bummer. I otherwise don't find mid perch to be very stiff at all.
Thanks for all the help, guys

VelociRaptorSVT

Reaction score
Shocks were just rebuilt a few hundred miles ago through the exchange program so I'm pretty confident we're good there. I've only had it happen a couple of times and it only appears to happen in a narrow range of speed ~60-70 mph. Maybe it's the same as what you're calling stutter. Might have to give those progressive springs a shot if I cant find anything wrong. If that's the case, it's a bummer. I otherwise don't find mid perch to be very stiff at all.
Thanks for all the help, guys

This exchange program you speak of, is it something that carries over with the truck as a second owner? First time I'm hearing of this program. Thanks.