Lower shock bushing removal/install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1- you will have a rattle/clunk coming from your suspension. Eliminate ball joints, tie rods, etc. before jumping to conclusions. Double check the lower shock nut/bolt torque. 406 ftlb means a 24” breaker bar with a 200lb person standing on it.

2- jack the truck up, remove the wheels, and stick a pry bar between the lower a arm and the shock. If you have movement in the shock with minimal force (50 lb?) you have a bad stock bushing.

My lower bushings only last 20k miles. If you have aftermaket 3.0’s, it’s a lot easier.

I have a spare set of OEM shocks I need to have rebuilt - 50K on them. They're removed already. Any good way to check the bushings?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swapped out my lower bushings, its actually super easy with the right tools.
Obviously you need a press, doesn't have to be huge because they aren't under a ton of pressure.
I went to the steel yard and got some scrap cut to 3 inches.
The holder is 2 7/8 and the press side is 2 3/16 thin wall
All in with cutting was $6
I put the bushings in the freezer which im sure made it a little easier but definitely not necessary.

If you can wiggle them at all, they are trash. I came across this video last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqM5JH69QK0

NICE! Many thanks, I will be checking and replacing these as necessary. Wish I could find a cheaper source for OEM or spherical, $65-85 a pop is kinda high...

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swapped out my lower bushings, its actually super easy with the right tools.

Since I don't want to send the shocks off again, I figured I'd replace the bushings myself.

Forgot to ask you guys, are those things Ford or Fox? Is there a part number from one or the other on them? Only finding one or two sources for them...

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forgot to ask you guys, are those things Ford or Fox? Is there a part number from one or the other on them? Only finding one or two sources for them...

I got the oe ones from forged offroad (see op)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro