Lower the rear and tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum and new to Raptor ownership but I have searched and read a lot of posts on raising the front, lowering the rear, Deaver's, adjustable bump stops, etc. I haven't been able to find answers to a couple questions:

1. I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I like the look of the low front end on my 2014 Raptor. To me it looks mean from the front as wide and low as it is. I also prefer the looks of a level truck, and a lower center of gravity, so I'd like to lower the rear. I have found threads extolling the virtues of Ford Racing lowering shackles and of Readylift 1.5" blocks. But I can't find where any consensus has been reached. It appears there is general agreement that the best way to raise the front is to change to mid-perch. Is there general agreement on the best way to lower the rear?

2. I do not regularly tow things but do occasionally tow a ski boat, a trailer with some motorcycles on it, etc. Nothing over 5,000 lbs. or so. If I lower the rear and then try to tow, will a weight distribution hitch keep me level? I guess the better question is what is recommended for effective towing with a lowered rear?

Thanks in advance for your help. If there are threads I have missed that have this info, I'd appreciate knowing where to look.

Ty

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically the answer is to go with a custom leaf spring set up from a manufacturer like Deaver. As you have found there are not many here who are looking to decrease ride height, travel,departure angle, etc. as the original design of the truck is off road centric. The mods you are describing would increase functionality for what you would do with the truck but would also decrease functionality from an off road perspective. Custom leaf springs, drop brackets, or even switching to an air bag or hydraulic suspension would be the most effective but expensive ways to do what you are asking for. Just be aware that around here you will have to have some thick skin while on the forum as the vast majority of people that are on here are all about doing the opposite of what you are trying to do.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Hi All,

1. I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I like the look of the low front end on my 2014 Raptor. To me it looks mean from the front as wide and low as it is. I also prefer the looks of a level truck, and a lower center of gravity, so I'd like to lower the rear. I have found threads extolling the virtues of Ford Racing lowering shackles and of Readylift 1.5" blocks. But I can't find where any consensus has been reached. It appears there is general agreement that the best way to raise the front is to change to mid-perch. Is there general agreement on the best way to lower the rear?
/QUOTE]

With Camburgs 1.5 Mig Shackles which will lower the ride height in the rear.

Camburg Ford Bronco 80-96 / F-150 04-14 / Raptor 1.5 MIG Shackles

Word of caution on a level truck if you tow or keep any gear in the bed. I went with Deaver +2 leaf springs when I upgraded my front springs and went to Mid-Perch. My Raptor was level (lower in the rear) and it did look good.

Then I added about 350lbs with a chase rack, two spares and on runs, additional gear. Now I was sporting some Cali-Lean. At night cars flashed their brights and I had to adjust my headlights!

Next I towed my 7000lbs toybox and my rear dropped even more. It was pretty sad I almost got stuck out at Pismo Dunes I had so much squat in the rear that my trailer would drag its stabilizer jacks...

After that I re-arched my Deaver's to +3 and added a load leaf. I'm slightly higher in the rear at Mid-Pearch with my gear and over all the Raptor looks good. Towing I sit level.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@t_j @Jimbo I got this. Everything you would every want to know about towing and a Raptor. If you do some research here you'll find we have great info here already. So much so we compiled all the info in one handy dandy dedicated site to its discussion.

Ford Raptor Towing Information
Dude that was just ******* wrong and I work at a prison!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Screw, Stock Perch, 1.5" Readylift rear blocks and I tow a 5K lb Toy Hauler once a month. Truck does great, make sure to use a weight distribution hitch and take the time to set it up correctly. I also use the truck off road, whoops and dunes primarily and have had no issues due to the rear blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk