Long Travel Shootout - ON TOPIC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay FRF.... Figuritively speaking, here's the new "one and only" LT comparison thread. Let's stay on topic and bring to light some of the differences/similarities about the kits available to us. No banter or attacks will be permitted in this thread as it will be closely moderated.

Manufacturers, please speak up if you want me to add the missing info to the list below or if there are other noteworthy aspects to the kits that should be included in the list.

I've found the info below either through FRF or the manufacturers website. If any info is off, let me know and I'll edit this post. Also, if there are any other companies marketing or getting ready to market LT kits for the raptor, post up the details and I'll add them to this list. Supporting vendor or not...

Manufacturers in no particular order:

RPG

Travel: 19" -projected
Width: Stock
Shocks: 3.0" C/O X 3.0" Bypass
Bumpstop: ?
Price: ?

22694_380239868722477_541863375_n.jpg

Outlaw

Travel: 18"
Width: ?
Shock Sizes: 2.5"C/O X 3.0" Bypass
Bumpstop: Yes

IMG_1645.jpg

SDHQ

Travel: 16.5"
Width: +2" Per Side
Shock Sizes: 2.5" C/O X 3.0" Bypass
Price: $6,495.00

dsc03214-WM.jpg

Brenthel

Travel: 16"
Width: +2" Per Side
Shock Sizes: 2.5" C/O X 2.5" Bypass
Price: $5,199.00

1202or-02+off-road-hardware-new-products+brenthel-ford-raptor-kit.jpg

Foutz

Travel: ?
Width: ?
Shock Sizes: ?
Bumpstop: ?

531145_530166577012624_962404614_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Possible discussion points:

User reviews of above kits

Feedback on track width - who's experienced it first hand

Installation requirements

Bumpstop/shock options

Price points

Etc....

Last edited:

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WSI has no intention of designing an LT kit (unless for the shops own vehicle/race truck). However we are more than capable installing these kits . And most require a significant amount of cutting and welding, and shock tuning. Being in the center of the country this would take a lot out of shipping. Plus there are dunes to test at, only 4.5 hours away and your vehicle could be trailed out for tuning.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Extra Travel per $K Index:
Inches of travel above 12" per $1000 cost.

RPG = ???
Outlaw = ???
SDHQ = (16.5"-12")/($6.495K) = 0.69
Brenthel = (16"-12")/($5.199K) = 0.77

Per my "arbitrary" value index, Brenthel is the best value (so far)

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for trying to put all the facts and data together on the long travel topic!

I have one request that would be very helpful for those if us trying to learn about LT kits.

Can you experienced guys try to make as many apple to apple comparisons as you can. What I mean by that is can options and features be included? For example, if I'm reading the web sights correctly the base price of the SDHQ and Brenthel kits don't include shocks. They list shocks and other things as options and when included the prices can climbs up to $10K.

Another factor I'd be interested in would be something like installation difficulty. SDHQ = bolt on (depending on on options) RPG = welding required (I'm assuming)

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Semi related

If you install a kit that adds track width to the front of your truck do you need to have the rear axle reworked to match?

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks all for trying to put all the facts and data together on the long travel topic!

Can you experienced guys try to make as many apple to apple comparisons as you can. What I mean by that is can options and features be included? For example, if I'm reading the web sights correctly the base price of the SDHQ and Brenthel kits don't include shocks. They list shocks and other things as options and when included the prices can climbs up to $10K.

Another factor I'd be interested in would be something like installation difficulty. SDHQ = bolt on (depending on on options) RPG = welding required (I'm assuming)

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Semi related

If you install a kit that adds track width to the front of your truck do you need to have the rear axle reworked to match?

My Extra Travel Cost Index is a joke without total parts cost included.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Extra Travel Cost Index is a joke without total parts cost included.

Wasn't trying tip pick on you.

Actually the engineer in me though that was a pretty good idea, lol

Part of my confusion on these kits is trying to decide what options I want and part of that is bang for the buck. If 2.5" shocks get you 95% of the performance of 3.0" shocks are the threes worth the extra money to me???

SDHQ

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This might not be the correct thread for this discussion... But IMO long travel suspension is not really needed for the masses... There are a lot more things to take into account if you are planning on adding long travel because you are drawn to the foot and a half wheel travel numbers. IMO the long travel suspension is just a single part of a complete build needed to have a good performing and safe truck.

I have talked a lot, and I mean a lot of people out of a long travel kit for their Raptor and into something that is much more suited to what they actually want to accomplish with their truck. It truly isn't about the wheel travel numbers, but rather the entire set up of the truck. You can spend the same money you were going to spend on just the long travel parts and have a well balanced truck that will perform.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Semi related

Yes and no. I have been driving my truck all year long with different track widths. It has been most challenging (I also haven't had a rear locker all year long either). The difference is in the cornering. You can't bounce the truck off the berms or get two wheels up on a berm to get around a high speed corner with different track widths. I ordered a Currie rear to make the rear match the track width of the front. A stronger rear end is also needed due to the added stress the truck is taking as you are taking bumps faster. and harder With the stock rear axle, I have bent 3 or 4 axles this year. I have forgotten how many. The lack of a rear locker has made going high speeds just scary. I was aware of all of this from the beginning and ran my truck like this on purpose to make myself a better driver in the long run.

This is one of many things that adds to the cost of putting together a long travel kit. The options available are customizable. Having long travel to just have long travel without the supporting mods is unsafe at best and stupid at the worst.

This might not be the correct thread for this discussion... But IMO long travel suspension is not really needed for the masses... There are a lot more things to take into account if you are planning on adding long travel because you are drawn to the foot and a half wheel travel numbers. IMO the long travel suspension is just a single part of a complete build needed to have a good performing and safe truck.

I have talked a lot, and I mean a lot of people out of a long travel kit for their Raptor and into something that is much more suited to what they actually want to accomplish with their truck. It truly isn't about the wheel travel numbers, but rather the entire set up of the truck. You can spend the same money you were going to spend on just the long travel parts and have a well balanced truck that will perform.

I agree with this statement.

Last edited: