Leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK. I've been spending far to many hours in the couple of weeks reading and talking to people from a few companies that make them. This is my conclusion.
I think some of the leaf pack manufacturers really don't disclose enough information about what their selling. We as raptor owners have a wide range of uses for them.
Some of them sold in suspension "packages" are designed like any typical high performance modification. Which 99.9% of buyers don't know or understand. They are designed to not fail under "race" or "extreme" conditions. Like a race. Longevity? Not what they are designed for. And if this was conveyed from the beginning what do you thing the sales would be like?
That goes for those that don't do a great deal off the pavement and they still lose their arch. Again my hypothesis is substantiated.
They will stand up to X amount of "runs" or races and a tremendous amount of use,"except of course on those isolated occasions that have been written on in the forum". I think I read one time that someones pack failed.
So, what can you do to get the straight dope? Full transparency? It isn't easy. I really had a hard time getting most of the big guns to open up about anything. I had to try to lead them by putting words in their mouths. Oh they have a great deal to say, just not what I wanted to hear.
The bottom line is this. At least for me. My truck spends over half the time on wash board pot holed dirt roads. And I don't drive 20 down them. Yes, I know how to use power inertia as a brake and acceleration to dampen the uneven surfaces. (I raced motocross for several years as a kid) but I don't launch the truck. There is one railroad crossing that has about a 4-5' rise that I like to hit in the power band 2nd gear at about 40-45. It comes close to getting air but doesn't. That is my need. I want OE wear/longevity and I want to soak up the abuse the ass end takes on bad dirt roads. Just as important is maintaining the charmin soft characteristics on the keester.
I think most all of the builders can build that. Now getting that with 100% certainty is the scary thing. Especially with the "Rap tax" cost.
I really like talking to Pete at atlas. The first time. When I called him the second time with a question I got hung up on. Everyone has a bad day or moment. Considering I just found out I've got a carpenter ant infestation at me casa, funds are drying up quicker than a keg at the beach. The appeal of 1.2k delivered and another 200 for an SDHQ bump plate might work for me. I'm saving around five hunsky. Hey, he was the only guy that didn't have to be fed words.
I will add I didn't speak to anyone from WSI. I'm pretty sure they are making a replacement spring designed for long term and not ballistic short term life span. And that said, again, I'm sure they can ALL build anything you want....................:peace:

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright. Feeling like a full fledged guinea pig. One that at this point feels pretty good.
Atlas springs installed with SDHQ bump PLATE. Not the bump shock kit. This is to save anyone that wants to travel down my road here. The atlas springs come with a top kick plate to mount the u bolts. You don't want or need that as the SDHQ bump plate does that job. (see photo)
I actually was under the impression that these would be an 11 plate pack. nnnn. Wrong answer. The "race pack" is that. This is an 8/9 plate pack. I was not extremely happy about that,but Pete told me don't worry, be happy. If I'm not happy with them AT ALL, call him and he'll make it right however need be. Hey, their here so might as well right?
Before I can thoroughly test these puppies out I've got to hit the exhaust shop to have my duals tightened up. Near full droop now will likely cut my tail pipes clean off. Tuesday morning.
I will say that the ride home was night and day. Again, 40 miles of hole filled roads and 20 miles of dirt hole filled roads. Crazy how the leaf springs actually improved the front end as well! The GB coil overs up front now seem to plant more firmly. The ass was actually having an effect on how the front end responded on bad roads. It's a package deal that will impress ANYONE on how this truck handles hole filled, cracked, frost heaved and settled asphalt roads. It's like a new vehicle.
Time will tell how they hold up, next week they'll get a test of high speed off road performance capability. Or rather scratching the bump stops.
The OE rear height from the ground to the rear fender lip was 42 3/4", center cap to lip 26 1/2". With the leafs 44 1/4" & 28". I was told there would be some settling. Obviously. :-/
See photo after front coil overs and atlas +2 leaf springs.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 303
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, this opens up more options for all of us. I have been researching rear leafs for awhile now, and haven't been impressed with longevity or price. Did you happen to talk about an HD version, I am looking to run 350-400 pounds in the back.

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Atlas can and will build a pack to you're specific spec. Talk to Pete about the HD. These that I have are all of carrying that kind of load all day without issue.
NOTE;
When I said that if you went with the SDHQ bump plate you didn't want the kick plate on the atlas springs I meant if you told them when you ordered them they'd assemble that way. I didn't know going in. In fact I didn't realize until the springs were in and I was putting in the bumps. lol Two beers short a sixer this morn for sure.

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exhaust relocated out of the way of full droop. Two days of hot lap fire roads and trails. I love this set up up front and out back. Surprising to be as balanced as it is. Really how this truck should be set up from the factory. I know others have said the same thing. I'm hoping the leafs will settle soon. It's close to looking like the OE rake except a couple inches up at both ends. Which isn't bad when I've got over a hundred pounds in the bed.
If you want to save a couple hundred bucks and get a product equally as good as any other if not better, these leafs are a great value. Of course longevity is a big factor for many including myself. I'll revisit this thread down the line to report on that.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to your longer term review. Atlas has always made a good product in my book.

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Photo of exhaust modification?

I've split the OE exhaust after installing a magnaflow muffler running duals out the back. After installing the new leaf packs I noticed that under spirited driving conditions and the leafs at droop they would come into some very hard contact with the exhaust pipes. With the spare intact, and the tow cradle it made for some tight quarters to give me full leaf clearance and no rubby bangy on anything. I've got the passenger side **** but I still need to do a hanger mod to tighten the pipe. In extreme cases it will move and hit the tow cradle and/or the side of the leafs. As you can see in the photo it's pretty tight along side the spare but I've noticed no issues.

**** The perspective of the photo's kind of looks like there is an issue,but rest assured I've had them at full droop and there is NO contact at all with the exhaust. Pretty tight under there to get good angles.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg