GEN 1 Leaf spring shackle noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found reason for popping noise today and it's coming from leaf spring shackle. I don't have that noise if i loosen the bolt or if it's over torqued. If it's in the right or little bit over torque it makes popping noise. So basically what I'm asking is that can it be tighten over spec's or do i do harm for it? All suggestions are taken into consideration. Need to get rid of that sound, it's very annoying. Thanks

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would rather under torque it, just a little though. The bolts are pretty long and the nuts are lock nuts, so I would worry about it backing off. If you do, spin a lock nut on there and torque the shit out of that. Over-torquing that bolt could lead to it snapping under stress.

Just my $.02........

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine backed off and ovaled out the hole, torque them down with some red loctite

OP
OP
no1

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather under torque it, just a little though. The bolts are pretty long and the nuts are lock nuts, so I would worry about it backing off. If you do, spin a lock nut on there and torque the shit out of that. Over-torquing that bolt could lead to it snapping under stress.

Just my $.02........

Well I actually meant the nut, its torqued to 260Nm and spec is 185Nm. Just don't want that or the bushings to fail on our trip.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey JanT, could you please tell me when the popping noise happen?
Was when taking off from a stop and sometimes making a U-turn on a uneven surface?

I'm having a pooping noise when I do that, for over half a year, just haven't had time to work on my truck this year at all.
Looking for an easy solution!

If you say yes then Camburg Shackles will be on order. It is on my mod list anyway.

OP
OP
no1

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey JanT, could you please tell me when the popping noise happen?
Was when taking off from a stop and sometimes making a U-turn on a uneven surface?

I'm having a pooping noise when I do that, for over half a year, just haven't had time to work on my truck this year at all.
Looking for an easy solution!

If you say yes then Camburg Shackles will be on order. It is on my mod list anyway.

It happens in slow speed and when braking to the stop, no mater was i going forward or reverse. Most noticeable when backing up and turning in to incline and rear wheel starts to droop.
Popping never happened when i jacked truck up, only in those situations mentioned above in my case.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you JanT

I guess I have no choice but to get her up on jack stands and disassemble the rear suspension to find out what's going on with my truck.
I'm going to order the Camburg Shackles anyway, I was just hopping that is all I would need.

Last edited:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you JanT

I guess I have no choice but to get her up on jack stands and disassemble the rear suspension to find out what's going on with my truck.
I'm going to order the Camburg Shackles anyway, I was just hopping that is all I would need.

Mine was the front leaf mount bolt, suck a go pro to the top of the leaf spring and drove around a spot that would make it so its thing until I narrowed it down, a role of 3m moulting tape helps so you can just stick it to something drive pull it off move it stick it some where else and repeat.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe and my fear is that's what's going on with mine, I believe I've egg out the holes in the bracket.
4 years being SC and the fact that I got hit on the side breaking the rear rim all point to something got tweak.
I had it looked at three times at the dealer all they do is tighten everything and it does stop for a week or so.

When I drop the springs I'm sure I'll see, either I need new bolts and nuts (crown nuts is what I'd go with) or front spring bushings or weld washers on, maybe all three.
I have so many things attached to the rear, it could be anyone of them. but first I have to inspect the front of the rear springs.

Wish I could just throw it on a dyno, that would be real easy.

Last edited:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe and my fear is that's what's going on with mine, I believe I've egg out the holes in the bracket.
4 years being SC and the fact that I got hit on the side breaking the rear rim all point to something got tweak.
I had it looked at three times at the dealer all they do is tighten everything and it does stop for a week or so.

When I drop the springs I'm sure I'll see, either I need new bolts and nuts (crown nuts is what I'd go with) or front spring bushings or weld washers on, maybe all three.
I have so many things attached to the rear, it could be anyone of them. but first I have to inspect the front of the rear springs.

Wish I could just throw it on a dyno, that would be real easy.

MTF, I had a popping sound as well that I could not figure out. I tried torqueing every bold I could get access to IAW OEM specs. Then when I installing my bed tie down rings, I found that my bed bolts were very loose from when the dealer did the Linex. Torqueing them to the spec seems to have fixed the popping. Might be worth checking...