Impact driver for lower shock bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flaltlander1414

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be doing some work on my front suspension! UCA/'s, tie rods, and brakes all around. Im gonna need to take the shocks off and don't have a compressor with enough scfm to support a strong enough impact for the lower shock bolts. Not really looking to drop $500 on a compressor and $250 for a driver. I was looking at Porter cables electric driver. It's rated at 450 ft lbs. Do you think it'll break em loose? Good reviews on it. Any recommendations?

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A breaker bar will do the trick then tighten with an impact. I would strongly suggest that you buy a torque multiplier or take it somewhere to have bolt tightened to spec. 406 lbs is a lot!!

hogwash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll second the huge breaker bar. And add some hefty friends to help if you have any. I doubt any impact is gonna touch it

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Breaker bar for sure, or a good electric impact like a Milwaukee, those put out some serious ft/lbs of torque.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
24" breaker bar with a 1/2" drive ratchet on the bolt with a cheater pipe. They will come off easy. When installing, use red lock tight and tighten the shit out of the nut with the 24" breaker. My grade school math tells me a 203 lb person standing on the end of a 24" lever equates to 406 ftlb. Be careful, its nerve-racking when the truck starts to teeter.