ICON RXT with front stock shocks

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I was checking my truck as Raptoberfest is less than two weeks away. It looks like my passenger side front ICON 3.0 is leaking. A red fluid?
Of course it would most likely be a bad idea to run like this at Raptoberfest so I need to do something and something quick. I do have my stock front shocks still in the garage set at mid perch that I will use to swap them. So I have some questions.

1. Do I spend all the extra money to overnight it to ICON and have them overnight it back to me.
2. Should I do both fronts so they are rebuilt together (driver side is NOT leaking)? And then paying even more for overnight shipping, ugh.
3. Run the front stock shocks with the rear RXT full system for raptoberfest?
I am thinking that option 3 is going to be my fall back plan if anything. With the RXT new, would I run into any major issues running stock front with this setup?

Really bumming right now, I wanted to test this all out at the raptor run.

5771755cedd89f29827def05843c06fd.jpg
e181dd01d6f078eb037eda87f4aad949.jpg
153a69afd25cef4f0604edc27e0df417.jpg
dc5c7cd381ded82f6d4007228b7a7214.jpg
@ICONRep @ICON_Allen

Last edited by a moderator:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that sucks!

Option #4) Have ICON meet you there and put two rebuilt (or new) ones in!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Well that sucks!
You think?

Option #4) Have ICON meet you there and put two rebuilt (or new) ones in!!!

Not sure if ICON will be there or not. Don't see them on the poster.
I found that TPM Racing in San Antonio is an ICON certified shock shop. Probably call them on Monday and see what they can do. I could drive down there on Thursday (12hr drive), spend the night and on Friday see if they can swap them out as soon as they open. Raptoberfest looks to be about 150 miles from them. Or see if someone from San Antonio that is going to Raptoberfest could pick them up for me and have a vendor at Raptoberfest install them early on Friday before the track opens. I just hate last minute things.....those are the times when things go wrong.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When one of my icon c/o's was leaking the fluid was red-ish.

IF I was gonna send one in, I'd send them both in because there might be a refined tune they can do while it's getting fixed that's worth doing and you'd want them both done.

Did you check and make sure the shock hose fitting was tight at the top of the shock? Might be where it's leaking from.

I've ran the stock fronts with my icon rears and rpg nationals/bump kit. For once it felt like the rear out performed the front but the truck didn't feel balanced. It'd be manageable at raptoberfest but not ideal.

I'd see if the shop/dealer in San Antonio can service it. If not then I'd check the nitrogen psi, recharge if low and run the bitch.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

When one of my icon c/o's was leaking the fluid was red-ish.

IF I was gonna send one in, I'd send them both in because there might be a refined tune they can do while it's getting fixed that's worth doing and you'd want them both done.

Did you check and make sure the shock hose fitting was tight at the top of the shock? Might be where it's leaking from.

I've ran the stock fronts with my icon rears and rpg nationals/bump kit. For once it felt like the rear out performed the front but the truck didn't feel balanced. It'd be manageable at raptoberfest but not ideal.

I'd see if the shop/dealer in San Antonio can service it. If not then I'd check the nitrogen psi, recharge if low and run the bitch.

Rarely see you post very much anymore Steve. I feel kinda honored that you took the time to help me again. I appreciate it dearly as I value your opinion.

If your truck felt unbalanced with that setup, I've gotta imagine that with the RXT it will be even more so. I guess I could take it slow but man that is going to suck. I wanted to see what the setup could do. Raptoberfest might not be the most ideal place but wanted to push it.

Asking because I do not know but when it's leaking that much, should we assume anyways that it is low on PSI? Recharge to 250psi? And fully charged will make up for the lost fluid (and most likely losing more during the run)? Will it damage anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rarely see you post very much anymore Steve. I feel kinda honored that you took the time to help me again. I appreciate it dearly as I value your opinion.

If your truck felt unbalanced with that setup, I've gotta imagine that with the RXT it will be even more so. I guess I could take it slow but man that is going to suck. I wanted to see what the setup could do. Raptoberfest might not be the most ideal place but wanted to push it.

Asking because I do not know but when it's leaking that much, would I assume anyways that it is low on PSI? And fully charged will make up for the lost fluid (and most likely losing more during the run)? Will it damage anything?

Haha no problem. Just usually lurk anymore.

I can't imagine you would damage anything if you lost all the oil unless you got the shock super hot. If you loose that much oil during raptoberfest I'd just call it a day. Personally I'd rather run that risk than spend a bunch of coin overnighting shocks back and forth, and crossing fingers they don't get lost or damaged in the process. Or put the stockers on and go slower...

I bet even with the leak it's still holding some charge although adding more nitrogen psi would probably cause it to leak at a faster rate. they should still perform with a little oil loss if they are charged up with nitrogen but that's a better question for icon. I know in the past I've been told my shocks would still perform as long as they didn't loose a bunch of oil and I kept them charged.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Haha no problem. Just usually lurk anymore.

I can't imagine you would damage anything if you lost all the oil unless you got the shock super hot. If you loose that much oil during raptoberfest I'd just call it a day. Personally I'd rather run that risk than spend a bunch of coin overnighting shocks back and forth, and crossing fingers they don't get lost or damaged in the process. Or put the stockers on and go slower...

I bet even with the leak it's still holding some charge although adding more nitrogen psi would probably cause it to leak at a faster rate. they should still perform with a little oil loss if they are charged up with nitrogen but that's a better question for icon. I know in the past I've been told my shocks would still perform as long as they didn't loose a bunch of oil and I kept them charged.

I got some calling around Monday morning that's for sure. Another question, in the first picture, is that normal around the IWE?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like some staining from the grease in the iwe. The rubber seal on the iwe actuator is probably a little worn. It'd require a new iwe actuator. Personally I'd let the iwe break first but that's just me haha.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A little grease on the boot is ok, but probably won't get replaced under warranty. Now if you break one, warranty it.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

A little grease on the boot is ok, but probably won't get replaced under warranty. Now if you break one, warranty it.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

I carry a new spare dorman IWE with me now. Heard too many issues with the IWE's and figured it would be good to have that on a run. For $60, seems like worthy insurance.