GEN 1 ICON RXT design flaw?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Have you heard back from Icon?

Sent these pictures and Dylan called me back in less than 2 hours. He is asking about the anti-wobble link and if its not adjusted correctly. He is checking on some things and said he would get back with me once he has some specs in his hand to reference. It is nice to be able to speak directly with the ICON engineer who designed this, that is definitely a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Adjusted the anti-wobble link as suggested by ICON in as far as it would go. Didn't seem to make a difference. Took a picture straight down the comp2 tube where you can see where it would meet the ubolt for the striker pad. Would be really interested to see the same picture from someone else's RXT full system.

bf271ad87969b782c2c4ce5b1efebddb.jpg

Looks like the only thing to look at now is the shackles as that is where ICON is looking next. At first I was told it should be fine but that perhaps that is no longer the case. So very interested to see someone's picture like mine with stock shackles to see how much of a difference it might or might not be.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

What is a anti wobble bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct term is actually anti-wobble link, my mistake. It is to keep the shock from flopping back and forth from possibly hitting the leaf springs.

3450cdcef025f5a1b662946eef4d4a76.jpg

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@RDFTS Thanks for providing updates. The RXT setup is a frontrunner for me when I decide to upgrade my suspension. Hope this gets figured out for the benefit of future potential buyers.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I actually do have an update and it is headed in the positive direction. Will update in more detail with pics

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Okay to start off before I even purchased the RXT, I thought I did my research. I've heard that upgrading the stock shackles is a good thing when upgrading the rear. I asked about replacing with stock length vs a longer length. I was recommended the camburgs by a vendor that are 1.5" longer than stock to level the rear when adding the extra leaf and to provide more down travel. I did notice that it did provide that travel which made the brake lines tight. So I had installed 4"+ over stock stainless lines from the frame to axle to provide the needed slack. I called ICON at the time to confirm, they didn't see an issue. Even afterwards I spoke with Dylan in person and he also didn't see an issue with the entire setup when he saw it himself at TRR.

We spoke one time on the phone and the rest of the communication was via emails. He said the spec on the anti-wobble link was 2.5" but didn't say it was the total length or from bolt hole to hole.

335469e8e9f5155edadb43856697920e.jpg

51b7395a2cc0ae4ca472d3761c027009.jpg

Either way I could not get it 2.5" of total as the screw bolt was bottomed out. I screwed it in as far as I could and re-fitted and as I posted previously with a picture, it was still going to hit. Dylan said he was going to get to his computer and add the length of the shackle and see if the computer showed an issue. After this, all emails went silent.

Seeing that turning it in, helped nothing, I decided to experiment. With the link completely removed and twisting the shock away from the frame as far as possible, I could see that it gave the possible needed clearance.

f7e34f5c0866a5afdd954dc8e28cc358.jpg

But the top of the shock was hitting the mount.

35438f9a39a9e1d55c3d91ea2abee5fb.jpg

So I move it a little bit away and adjusted the anti-wobble link to keep that position.

8edb068f51325749df682b24aab20837.jpg

As you can see it made a difference still!

135897ba3d3e99596256cab6a395daaa.jpg

I proceeded to the passenger side as it wasn't as bad.

1e0603b8abc7c7283731e86577803a53.jpg

But the knob was getting hit on that side too.

d084dd72a2f13530694d7e847ff0c1b9.jpg

I adjusted the anti-wobble link like I did the driver side and got clearance too.

c1090bd7b4ed6a115e03a18f512eaf58.jpg

I left it like you see it. Even though the anti-wobble link is preset by ICON and they tell you not to adjust it, I am glad the design does allow adjustability. Now what I am still very curious about is if someone with stock shackles can post a picture of the clearance to see if I am within reason now or still way too close? I found holding your phone camera as close to possible to Comp2 looking straight down (as my pictures are showing) to get a good shot.

Dylan did talk about getting some replacement knobs and perhaps sending in the shock to fix the brass screw bent issue. Personally I think if they just made the striker pad an 1/2" longer or so, it would be that much more clearance to be on the safe side.