GEN 1 ICON RXT design flaw?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have the full ICON RXT system with their leaf springs (added the extra leaf). Other than the stock setup, I used camburg 1.5+ shackles. I talked to Dylan about the shackles and was not an issue.

After going to Baja and TRR, I finally had a weekend to clean the rear shocks and take off the knobs and grease them again.

I noticed that the knob closest to the axle was damaged and see that it is hitting the bracket for the ICON bump stop. It must be hitting it upon compression. The same issue is on the passenger side and worse on the driver side. The screw into the shock for comp 2 now is slightly bent on the driver side and you cannot fully adjust it anymore.

This seems like an issue that was missed in the design? Is anyone else with the full RXT system seeing the same thing I am? I am going to contact ICON and see what they think. Their customer support has been 2nd to none so hope I can talk to Dylan again to see what can be done.

df6d712306d988e8f31db2f7e0e5bfa4.jpg

16e4f53a77f40207dc6eeb35dd81abda.jpg

812d483f80bf017a74c49016d8120e52.jpg

Luckily the set screw was in far enough that it didn't damage it and I was able to get it out to remove the knob.
@ICONRep @ICON_Allen @DylanICON

Last edited by a moderator:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@RDFTS now that you have had the ICON RXT system for a while and put it through a variety of different terrain and driving conditions. What is your overall impression and has it lived up to your expectations? How does it compare to your previous 3.0 setup and how is it on road as a DD? Would you do the added leaf again?

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks dude.

I suppose the simplest solution would be getting rid of the U bolt for a mount and just welding the strike pads to the axle.

I'm sure they can't design around every strike pad design unless your running icon strike pads. Then I would say they need to do something about it. But like molon said. Weld them on and cut the tab off.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I'm sure they can't design around every strike pad design unless your running icon strike pads. Then I would say they need to do something about it. But like molon said. Weld them on and cut the tab off.

The RXT system includes the ICON bump stop as I mentioned that I have the FULL system in my first post.

2010 - 2014 Ford SVT Raptor RXT Rear Suspension System

So in my opinion, that is why I asked if it might be a design flaw since these are ICON's strike pad. I think if the pad was a little longer so the bolt would miss the shock knob, that would resolve the issue.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Damn, that sucks dude.

I suppose the simplest solution would be getting rid of the U bolt for a mount and just welding the strike pads to the axle.

A possible solution, yes but this is ICON's strike pad so why are THEIR products hitting each other?

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can the strike pad be moved further out toward the backing plate. or does it have to be in that position. just asking.

or could the plates be switched side to side

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Can the strike pad be moved further out toward the backing plate. or does it have to be in that position. just asking.
or could the plates be switched side to side

No. If you look at the picture, one side of it goes under the leaf to grab on and there is just one u-bolt clamp holding the other side.

ford-raptor-rear-hydraulic-bumpstop-system.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

@RDFTS now that you have had the ICON RXT system for a while and put it through a variety of different terrain and driving conditions. What is your overall impression and has it lived up to your expectations? How does it compare to your previous 3.0 setup and how is it on road as a DD? Would you do the added leaf again?

I'll answer this once I have closure of the current issue. :)
I am happy with adding the leaf since I carry two spares, and all the other stuff that's back there.