Icon rear 3.0s ripped off frame at RTF, have questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a few questions, My upper rear shock mounts ripped off on both sides on my first lap at RTF. One actually broke on the bottom to, and luckily was found on the track! I have talked to a couple people, and am getting a new bracket from Corey at RPG to fix the factory upper mounts. This new brackets looks pretty awesome, and should keep this from happening again hopefully! I'll post pics when installed.

My questions are, why does this only seem to be a problem with these Icons? I have searched through a bunch of threads, and I know there is a big inside joke about the Icons, not sure what its about, I didn't want to go through a million pages from TRR13. What is it about these shocks that seem to make this a common problem, or is it any aftermarket shocks when used heavily?? These shocks are much better than my factory, just wanted to figure out what caused this. Mine were set to 6.

Everyone has tried to convince me to go through the bed with longer shocks and a cage etc. I'm just not wanting to do that, I actually use my bed. I know the Rogue Cantilever is awesome, i'm just not there yet. I'm not sure how those super long shocks help when the travel is limited by your springs. Maybe im thinking about that wrong.

Thanks guys

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you trim your upper shock mount when you installed them?

OP
OP
L

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you trim your upper shock mount when you installed them?

Just enough to give them clearance, but not enough to make them really weak. we did a conservative cut. I know what you are asking, and ive seen pics of some people that cut waaaay to much. I should have mentioned that above.

I know you were part of that TRR13 thread. What do you know??

Last edited:

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll just say this, as raptizzle is eluding with his use of the popcorn meme, you're opening a can of worms, either that or everyone is so tired of this that they wont expend the energy. ICONs are stiff, they require some slight profiling of the uppershock mount for clearance, a lot of guys over do the clearancing and weaken the shock mount as a result. Personally I didn't clearance mine, my shock mounts remain strong, I have beaten the absolute shit out of the truck and have never had an issue. Just my thoughts.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a few reasons why the shock mount fails.
1) it's a poor design from Ford
2) the mount is not designed for larger loads that are seen from 3.0 shocks. And yes, Fox shocks have cause mount failures as well.
3) the design is further compromised if not clearanced correctly
4) some believe icons see more failures than others due to the internal bump stop causing more force into the mount. See item 2 above.
5) it's a poor design from Ford
6) it is only spot welded when it should be continuous.

Now there are aftermarket fixes one can apply prior to the mount failing. LEX Motorsports, RPG, SDHQ and probably others all make either bolt on or weld on bandaids for the mount.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2) the mount is not designed for larger loads that are seen from 3.0 shocks. And yes, Fox shocks have cause mount failures as well.
4) some believe icons see more failures than others due to the internal bump stop causing more force into the mount. See item 2 above.

Now there are aftermarket fixes one can apply prior to the mount failing. LEX Motorsports, RPG, SDHQ and probably others all make either bolt on or weld on bandaids for the mount.

Great rundown Joe

OP
OP
L

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is a great list joe, thanks! ive looked at all of the above mentioned kits. I really like what RPG built. i guess we will see!

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Joe described the problem perfectly. I added reinforcement brackets to mine when I added Icon's for this reason. Haven't had any problems.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running a bump kit with those 3.0's ?
If not, that's the missing denominator. The shock mounts are not strong enough to take the bottoming loads on their own.