ICON 3.0 Coilover, Upper Control Arm + Skid Plate installation write up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With the coil nut all the way up basically put you at stock perch height @ 25" measured from center wheel to fender lip.

This adjustment can not be made with the shocks bolted to shock tower. You have to either make this adjustment prior to installing the shocks. Or you can loosen the bolts from the shock tower and lower shock so the adjustment ring can be accessed.. After adjustment is made you raise the shock back up and tighten the bolts...

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up!

Looking forward to installing my ICON skid plates soon. And maybe, with my 2011, I crank those coil overs a 1/2" to 1" higher - waiting to install new national springs to see what it looks like with ICONs at factory setting. But I don't have the spanner wrench. If I get a wrench, can I crank coil overs higher installed?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Great write up!

Looking forward to installing my ICON skid plates soon. And maybe, with my 2011, I crank those coil overs a 1/2" to 1" higher - waiting to install new national springs to see what it looks like with ICONs at factory setting. But I don't have the spanner wrench. If I get a wrench, can I crank coil overs higher installed?

Yes you can go up quite a bit. Contact ICON to get a spanner wrench ($28). The spanner will travel DOWN the shock shaft threads as you go UP in height. All that's required is lifting the front off the ground, spray the threads with WD-40 or Silicone lube and adjust accordingly.

I actually ended up a little higher and left my center hub to fender flare height at 27 1/4" which is nearly "top perch" height. Based on my intended off-roading habits I do not foresee any issues with the TORSEN front differential.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can go up quite a bit. Contact ICON to get a spanner wrench ($28). The spanner will travel DOWN the shock shaft threads as you go UP in height. All that's required is lifting the front off the ground, spray the threads with WD-40 or Silicone lube and adjust accordingly.

I actually ended up a little higher and left my center hub to fender flare height at 27 1/4" which is nearly "top perch" height. Based on my intended off-roading habits I do not foresee any issues with the TORSEN front differential.

Sweet. Wrench ordered.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
awesome write up!!! as said earlier- make sure to not stretch the vacuum, abs and brake lines when the knuckle is disconnected from the upper control arm. removing the mounting bracket on the frame 10mm bolt is how I do it along with pulling the push clip out on the upper control arm bracket that mounts the 4x4 vacuum line. Stretching the stock rubber brake lines can cause internal brakes along with the plastic clips that brake when you just look at them. I would also recommend cams if you are offroading but if your not the lower bolts wont move once torqued just driving on the street. Again great write up!!! Any chance you want to come down to Rausch Creek off road park and test it out on Feb 24th?? here is the link- http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f193/raush-creek-baja-coarse-20799/

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
awesome write up!!! as said earlier- make sure to not stretch the vacuum, abs and brake lines when the knuckle is disconnected from the upper control arm. removing the mounting bracket on the frame 10mm bolt is how I do it along with pulling the push clip out on the upper control arm bracket that mounts the 4x4 vacuum line. Stretching the stock rubber brake lines can cause internal brakes along with the plastic clips that brake when you just look at them. I would also recommend cams if you are offroading but if your not the lower bolts wont move once torqued just driving on the street. Again great write up!!! Any chance you want to come down to Rausch Creek off road park and test it out on Feb 24th?? here is the link- http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f193/raush-creek-baja-coarse-20799/

I am busy that weekend unfortunately. I will update my post to include some of the additional tips with the rubber lines and alignment cams you and pirate air mentioned. Thanks!