ICON 3.0 Coilover, Upper Control Arm + Skid Plate installation write up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
There are several threads covering this in this section, please discuss that comparison there rather than in this thread.

I have no idea and still fairly new to forum, hence why I asked
One of them has been provided for you in the post below. In addition, there is a major one stuck at the top of this section / forum. Those two cover the bulk of the discussion, but the search function (or use Google with the prefix "site:fordraptorforum.com") will bring up several more threads for your reading pleasure. I just don't want THIS thread to turn into a "which shock is better thread", as that is not its intent.

D

Deleted member 12951

With the adjustment collar all the way to the top of the shock, that's about stock height. I figure I'm 5-6 turns "down" the shock and sitting a hair above mid-perch height. I might be but 1 turn down (higher) than factory settings. You sure about that? Count the # of threads exposed above the collar and I will do the same.

Just got these brand new from ICON today. There is no threads showing, collar is all the way at the top. Does ICON no longer ship these out a little above stock mid perch anymore, anyone know?

@ICONRep

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Just got these brand new from ICON today. There is no threads showing, collar is all the way at the top. Does ICON no longer ship these out a little above stock mid perch anymore, anyone know?

@ICONRep

I believe they are shipping them at or around stock height now. Reason being is that when you go to install them, it's a total **** to get them in if they are already adjusted to mid perch height because they will be too long. You can get them in, but it sucks. I have also realized since I posted this that ICON never really standardized at which height they were setting them from the factory, at least from what I can tell. Several friends and forum members have reported receiving the shocks at all sorts of heights.

However, this produces another issue. When the spanner (adjustment collar) is up toward the top of the threads, you can't really get the spanner wrench in there once the shocks are bolted in. There's not enough room because it will be tucked up inside the coilover bucket. The solution is to get the bolts on the top started, but don't tighten them so you can still get at the spanner and give it a few cranks so it will be accessible once the top bolts are tight.

Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 12951

I believe they are shipping them at or around stock height now. Reason being is that when you go to install them, it's a total **** to get them in if they are already adjusted to mid perch height because they will be too long. You can get them in, but it sucks. I have also realized since I posted this that ICON never really standardized at which height they were setting them from the factory, at least from what I can tell. Several friends and forum members have reported receiving the shocks at all sorts of heights.

However, this produces another issue. When the spanner (adjustment collar) is up toward the top of the threads, you can't really get the spanner wrench in there once the shocks are bolted in. There's not enough room because it will be tucked up inside the coilover bucket. The solution is to get the bolts on the top started, but don't tighten them so you can still get at the spanner and give it a few cranks so it will be accessible once the top bolts are tight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, excellent information on the adjusting tidbit. Other than measuring from the fender to center cap what is the consensus of how many threads should be showing above the collar to be in-between mid and top perch? Or is every truck different?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Thanks, excellent information on the adjusting tidbit. Other than measuring from the fender to center cap what is the consensus of how many threads should be showing above the collar to be in-between mid and top perch? Or is every truck different?

I'd just go with the center hub to fender flare measurement. Again, I have seen and heard of varying heights being achieved with various amounts of threads showing. Several factors could be in play there, including but not limited to the spring rate and age of the coilovers. ICON did a running change on the spring rate a while ago. I also found that the older my coilovers got, the more they would sag or settle. SCREW vs SCAB makes a big difference as well.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BIRDMAN @pirate air The shop I'm using to do the install and alignment on my Icon adjustable UCAs is having a heck of a time getting it done. They keep running into an interference when adjusting caster where the front of the UCA near the pinch seam is touching the front of the frame mounted front pivot point. Any ideas. I couldn't think of anything other than telling them to call Icon to troubleshoot. Any tips, tricks, or advice I could share with the mechanic would be greatly appreciated.

This is on a 2011 Raptor Supercrew and the shop had previously done an alignment after installing rebuilt OEM Fox Shox set to mid-perch. They're currently installing Icon adjustable UCAs, SDHQ Lower A-Arm Doubler plates, and HD Alignment Cams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
@BIRDMAN @pirate air The shop I'm using to do the install and alignment on my Icon adjustable UCAs is having a heck of a time getting it done. They keep running into an interference when adjusting caster where the front of the UCA near the pinch seam is touching the front of the frame mounted front pivot point. Any ideas. I couldn't think of anything other than telling them to call Icon to troubleshoot. Any tips, tricks, or advice I could share with the mechanic would be greatly appreciated.

This is on a 2011 Raptor Supercrew and the shop had previously done an alignment after installing rebuilt OEM Fox Shox set to mid-perch. They're currently installing Icon adjustable UCAs, SDHQ Lower A-Arm Doubler plates, and HD Alignment Cams.

Have them take the arms off a match the angle of the stock arms as closely as possible. If you are over stock height, they should adjust the arms until they are just slightly longer than stock. Reinstall and if the caster is still off, if can also be adjusted with the lower arms.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BIRDMAN Thanks! Between sharing our illustrated step-by-step install instructions and a How-To YouTube link shared by Brian from Icon, the shop was finally able to get my truck aligned. It tracks straight and the steering wheel is centered. It appears that camber and toe are perfectly in spec with caster being much more on the positive end of the adjustment range. Is that your experience? It sounds correct based on the Icon instruction notes. Last, have you noticed any loosening of the UCA hardware over time and how often do you check beyond the recommended 100 mile retorque?

Here's the YouTube link in case it helps anyone else working with a shop that doesn't like to thoroughly read and/or understand the included instructions: https://youtu.be/Fgqn6Oatw_w

Resulting Alignment Specs:

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited: