How many Raptor Owners have Have or Have Not done the Perch Adjustment?

How many Raptor Owners have Have or Have Not done the Perch Adjustment?

• Perch Level 1

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Perch Level 2

Votes: 92 46.5%
  • Perch Level 3

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • BoAngeles Status

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the mid-perch done last week. I'm liking the look and I really can't tell much difference in the ride. I know how I am when it comes to doing mods, i will most likely raise it to the TOP when it comes time to replace the tires with 37" ers.

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys we need a sub poll. We have had 12 votes for top perch and only one person has reported problems. I am on top with no problems. The 10 of you that have voted for the top, any problems ?

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No problems here. Boots are good, no noise nothing leaking. She gets off road one to two times and a month. Going on 20,000 plus miles on top.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys we need a sub poll. We have had 12 votes for top perch and only one person has reported problems. I am on top with no problems. The 10 of you that have voted for the top, any problems ?

Well for one, your cv angles are going to be ******. I heard my cv shaft snap just cause I was bogging in 4lo and turned the wheel. It snapped so hard it took out all the splines in my wheel hub.
Hence I upgraded to rcv axles.
For highway ride quality on top take off your sway... A lot better without the sway bar. On top no sway I can run a bump at 100kmph and the steering will stay where it was,mwith the sway on it would jigger around.
If you want beast mode go top, if you do end up breaking cv shafts... You can buy oem refurbished cv shafts online for 120 bucks... Buy a few hahah

Thank you for this info...

I was 100% unaware of this, but I think I have these issues. I have been on top perch for nearly a year and a half now and every time I am in 4lo and sometimes when I am in 4hi and I am 4wheeling I have some very harsh and loud snaps going on. I noticed more so when I am turning tight radius' and when I am switching transmission from reverse to forward gears or vice-versa.

I knew something was up, but I was unsure what and it is hard for me to get someone to take a look at my truck when I drive or vice-versa. So I took it into the dealer and had them inspect it, they said the sounds they heard are perfectly normal of engaging and disengaging the 4wheel system and said they inspected and nothing was wrong.

I have never been impressed with my truck off-road compared to any other 4wd I have owned. Even when I was with a buddy in a F-250 SD and we were trailing through the snow, he got further than I did in 2wd when I was in 4lo with the locker engaged. I even posted about it here before it was FRF. Now I'm wondering if my front CV joint splines are toasted, but not snapped and that is why all of these issues.... hmm ???

I have about 35,000 right now on the odometer, so I think I will take it in before the 36k and specifically tell them to inspect the CV joints.

Likelyhood of them covering them under warranty??

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
As i said.... Depending how you run your truck. If its a street queen on top you should never have problems... I kinda abuse the shit out of mine. Yes its my fault but i have no problems doing some mechanical work myself, dont mind the downtime. The guy that said others domt have problems you might not be aware but theres a few peeps on here that had shit break on top perch, they use their trucks as intended as well.
To the previous poster theres something deff up with your 4lo and sounds like a problem i ran into on the trail... To explain further what symptoms i had and you can relate
I was bogging down a muddy river grill height in 4lo and heard a fromt snapping sound every time the front wheels turned. I switched it to 4hi and the snapping noise wasnt as frequent. In 2wd no snapping noise at all.. After i got home amd jacked up my truck i found the following..
A snapped cv shaft
Broken steering gear
Broken steering pump
Broken wheel hub
The snapping noise in 4lo was caused my a cv shaft that broke the splines of a wheel hub.
The steering gear and pump was felt in a different manner it just wouldnt make good turns and my power steering was out. I drove from toronto to detroit on my broken truck to get all the parts cause they are cheaper
So you deffinately have a ****** up cv shaft and wheel hub. Thats not a uncommon problem caused my top perch and running your truck hard combined.
Also adding about warranty... I got my warranty denied for these parts because
Ive broken my steering gear 2 times already, my steering pump 3 times already since march 2012.
If your dealer sees this as a "customer abuse" they wont cover it. I domt know about your truck, but my truck deffinately looks abused, i got dings and scratches from trails amd my underbody deffinately looks scraped from rock crawling and what not. I didnt flip out at them for denying me the warranty cause i knew it was my fault. You can try but if they deny you, your on your own bud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As i said.... Depending how you run your truck. If its a street queen on top you should never have problems... I kinda abuse the shit out of mine. Yes its my fault but i have no problems doing some mechanical work myself, dont mind the downtime. The guy that said others domt have problems you might not be aware but theres a few peeps on here that had shit break on top perch, they use their trucks as intended as well.
To the previous poster theres something deff up with your 4lo and sounds like a problem i ran into on the trail... To explain further what symptoms i had and you can relate
I was bogging down a muddy river grill height in 4lo and heard a fromt snapping sound every time the front wheels turned. I switched it to 4hi and the snapping noise wasnt as frequent. In 2wd no snapping noise at all.. After i got home amd jacked up my truck i found the following..
A snapped cv shaft
Broken steering gear
Broken steering pump
Broken wheel hub
The snapping noise in 4lo was caused my a cv shaft that broke the splines of a wheel hub.
The steering gear and pump was felt in a different manner it just wouldnt make good turns and my power steering was out. I drove from toronto to detroit on my broken truck to get all the parts cause they are cheaper
So you deffinately have a ****** up cv shaft and wheel hub. Thats not a uncommon problem caused my top perch and running your truck hard combined.
Also adding about warranty... I got my warranty denied for these parts because
Ive broken my steering gear 2 times already, my steering pump 3 times already since march 2012.
If your dealer sees this as a "customer abuse" they wont cover it. I domt know about your truck, but my truck deffinately looks abused, i got dings and scratches from trails amd my underbody deffinately looks scraped from rock crawling and what not. I didnt flip out at them for denying me the warranty cause i knew it was my fault. You can try but if they deny you, your on your own bud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the info. I agree, and I don't agree with people that abuse the warranty system because in the end that just cause dealers and manufacturers to raise our prices on vehicles and parts depending on who covers them. However I do not run my truck hard, I probably only get in 4wd once every month or 2 and other than that it is a daily driver/pavement pounder.

I know the steering pump nor gears are screwed up or else I would feel them since it is my daily driver. The symptoms are far as the snapping noise sound very close to my symptoms so I tend to think the CV shafts (at least the splines) are screwed up. Maybe only on one side though, or the splines are only partially screwed, because if for some reason I do get stuck at the beach, even as of recent, in 2wd I pop it in 4wd and it pulls right out. But I even told the dealership, it sounds like something is snapping in the front dif and they said everything was fine. I'll be taking it back and telling them to inspect CV shafts and joints.

As far as warranty, I've never had any powertrain components replaced under warranty, or out of warranty, and I know I haven't abused my truck and if this susp setting screws up CVs then it shouldn't have been offered on the truck if they didn't want to replace them under warranty lol.

Thanks again

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
You should be fine then. I know in 4hi it didnt make a sound, butnas soon as 4lo kicked in the front would spin and snap.
I dont think its your front diff either, sounds like a cv shaft/wheel hub/actuator.
The wheel hub is vacuum released so if its broken it doesnt engage/disengage when needed. I have a topic somewhere in the tech section with pics of my wheel hubs and the grinded up splines. Ill try to find it for ya so you can see the damage

Here we go. http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=15739
See how they are grinded up and all the splines are missing. Thats what was making the grinding noise. And the snapped cv shafts were making the snapping noise.
Hope this helps all the best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Hd

Last edited:

MB RAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mid Perch appointment set for 2 Oct at $300.

Done, love it!

Last edited:

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mid perch this past weekend.

Truck looks great leveled out (suspension is stock for now). Just don't know why I waited so long!

I did mine myself on the truck. Fairly strait forward just don't forget about the set screw on the lower spring perch.