How long should stock shocks last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RayMac1963

Reaction score
Or better question, what are the ride signs that they need replacing? There are 50k miles on my 2012 Raptor, only about 4k are mine, so i don't know what it rode like new, or what its even suppose to feel like. The Fox shocks have some ugly pitting and i'm vain, so I was thinking about yanking em next spring anyway. I can't speak to the previous milage, but i do not see any heavy off road use signs, it looks more like Michigan's salted winters and a lack of undercarriage washing in the cold weather by the first owner.

I have seen here about rebuilds at 45k, but others said they got much higher on the factories... Should i pull em, or get under there and make em shine as best i can?

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just keep going on them, you could do a rebuild and recondition, or you could upgrade. We have several vendors who could hook you up with either choice.

When I did my rebuild recently at 90,000 miles I was getting a lot of bump steer, harsh ride (kind of subjective since you have never experienced a like new ride), and a couple of mine were visibly leaking. Check for those signs. After doing my rebuild I saw how bad the oil looked after 90,000 miles so I am someone who leans toward rebuilds sooner rather than later. You could also try topping them off with nitro to limp them along until you make a decision but that opens the possibility of having to replace a bad rubber pellet if needed.
My suggestion would be to upgrade or do a rebuild now. That way you know they are good to go moving forward.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like what he said ^^^^, but if your truck is riding fine, I would clean up the shocks and coat them with fluid film or equivalent to protect them every winter, my originals lasted 85k and then I replaced them, if you are going to rebuild them or have them rebuilt and are a handy guy with tools, it wouldn't hurt to take them off now and get it done.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
50,000 is a good rebuild point. It's pretty inexpensive and you can sell them for more with a fresh rebuild if you decide to upgrade later

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are at 50k they need doing. I refreshed mine at about 39k and the difference was quite noticeable, and that was with very little offroad as far as I know. As others have said its cheap to rebuild. The downside is loss of use the truck while it is done, unless you find some to swap in

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Cant imagine Fox shocks need rebuilt at 50K? I get it with hard offroad use, but daily driving........ now 90K I get it.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About $400-$500 check here for instructions and breakdown. It will obviously be a lot less if you already have tools.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/diy-stock-raptor-2-5-shock-rebuild-43929/

If you are paying a shop to r&r it will be more but the shocks can be removed and rebuilt by anyone with basic hand tools, the specialized tools, and some basic mechanical knowledge how.

Last edited: