Hi, I'm a complete noob when it comes to suspension and have some questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
So I've been looking at purchasing some fox 3.0 shocks. They have two options for the front. option #1 "Fox 3.0 Factory Series Coil-Over Internal Bypass Reservoir" and option #2 "Fox 3.0 Front 2 Tube External Bypass Shock"

What are the differences of these two front shocks and which one is generally better?. Also what is a DSC.

I also see options for +2 or + 3 deavers but don't understand what deavers actually do, so if someone could explain all of this to me I would greatly appreciate it.

And where is the best and cheapest place to purchase from.

Once again sorry for being such a noob and I apologize if this question has already been answered. Thanks guys

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started with stock suspension. I could go maybe 10 mph on a particular section of rough desert trail before the rear end started to bottom out. I was concerned about bending the frame so I contacted RPG to ask about their frame reinforcement and bumper system intending to order. They convinced me to also order National springs. At that time Deavers (another brand) were not yet out. There were Regular and HD versions. I got the regular because I have a SCAB and don't haul that much off road. When you see the +2 or +3 that means they are arched to make the rear 2" higher or 3" higher. The National springs had many leaves and they were more progressive than the 2 leaf stock springs. That means that the first little bit of travel is softer than stock and then as they compress they get much stiffer.

With the new rear springs and bump stop I was able to go maybe 20 mph on the same stretch of trail but now the front would bottom. I called RPG and ordered their Fox 3.0 front setup assuming it would be well tuned to the RPG rear. With the RPG front added I can no go 25+ on that same stretch and I've gone much faster in river beds etc. I now have just the right balance between on and off road performance. I don't need more damping.

I will say that with the stock front going over speed bumps was very plush and with the 3.0 setup from RPG the shocks take much more force to move for a speed bump.

Last edited:

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need the front coil over. The bypass is a secondary shock to go with the coil over.

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do it in steps - based on limited budget.
I was told by RPG and a couple others -
stock front is better than rear. Do rear first.
•Frame reinforcement and bump stop
•rear springs
•rear 3.0 shocks
•front 3.0 coil overs
Next steps vary who you talk with
Weak links Tie Rods, Spindles
Then UCA, LCA, larger shocks, longer travel rear and front. Etc $$$$$
I did mid perch myself, then got RPG stage 3 ran TRR and Cali desert
Added 3.0 in the rear and made a lot of difference off-roading.
I am putting 3.0 coil overs on next weekend and I'll test in Baja

Last edited:

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Coil over would replace your stock front shock. They bypass is an additional shock that works with the coil over on the dual shock kits. Bypasses are the tubes that come from the side of the shock. They control the compression and rebound by turning the adjustments on the ends of the bypass tubes. DSC, dual speed compression, allows tuning of both high and low speed compression.

The cheapest route would be to find some take off parts. Especially shocks. You can buy some used ones and have them rebuilt by any of the shops.

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what Brian said, look for take offs as someone is always upgrading.
I bought RPG stage 3 new
I got RPG 1.5 UCA and tierods used with new wear parts.
Just bought used Icon 3.0 front & rear for a great price used.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
but if you do have a wheel barrell full of money. Do some research and do a through the bed cage and at least dual front shocks. svc, rpg, bajakits, all make good stuff. @Freedommotorsports, @scrapman, @tmx. can all hook you up wiyh whatever you need or can afford.