The hell could be wrong with my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorActual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So recently my truck(2010 6.2 scab) has started making a weird humming noise from up front. It does not do it all the time but I have noticed lately that it seems like when I hit a bump it sounds like there is a metal clunking noise also when I hit the brakes there seems to be a pulsing in the pedal and it pulls the truck slightly to one side. Usually I would say this is just normal for 4x4 that it sometime does or does not lock it and sometimes does or does not disengage but the last time it was engaged it sounded like there was a metallic ticking noise when in notation. I have jack up the truck and looked over the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, and cvs and it all looks like it is in good shape and is tight not. And ideas or info would be much appreciated

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t mention checking the brakes. I assume you did? Sounds like a stuck caliper to me.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the information provided, agree could be caliper related. Double check the pads were installed correctly, the pads with the "mickey mouse ears" bumps go against the caliper cylinders. Here is some info from Ford maintenance manual for what it's worth, related to vehicle makes noise, pulls or drifts during braking:

Brake Calipers:
Inspect the brake calipers for leaks, damage to seals and piston corrosion or binding.
If the brake caliper is leaking or otherwise damaged, install a new brake caliper. For additional
information, refer to Section 206-03 for front brake calipers or Section 206-04 for rear brake calipers.

Brake Caliper Guide Pins
The guide pins should slide with a reasonable amount of hand force. If the brake pads show taper wear or the guide pins are difficult to move, carry out the following steps.
Disassemble the brake caliper guide pins and inspect the guide pins and guide pin bores for wear, damage and corrosion. If the bore is worn or damaged, replace the damaged component.
Use a wire brush, rolled-up sandpaper or emery cloth to remove all corrosion and foreign material from the caliper guide pin bores. Clean any remaining foreign material from the bores with brake parts cleaner and compressed air.
Assemble the caliper seals, boots and guide pins. Use an ample amount of the specified grease to lubricate the bores and guide pins.
Inspect the brake pads. For additional information, refer to Brake Pads inspection in this section.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pulsing feeling in your brake pedal has to be a brake issue. Do what @siooss said. Then move on inspecting brake lines and abs. Probably need to bleed with fresh fluid if you haven’t done that in a while. Brake fluid should be changed at a minimum once a yr.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RaptorActual,

Are your steering rack bolts tight? Front axle shafts loose?
I agree with the above. Make sure there's some high temp grease on the stainless steel brake pad retaining clips so the pads can slip back outwards after brake application...
Good luck; keep us informed of the outcome...
Eddie

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is more information from maintenance manual, reference @Ditchplains1 post:

1. Front suspension noise — a squeak, creak or rattle noise.
Occurs mostly over bumps or rough roads. Front suspension
components Loose or damaged shock absorber(s) or shock absorber
bushing(s). Damaged spring or spring mount(s). Damaged or worn
control/radius arm bushing(s). Worn or damaged stabilizer bar bushings or link(s)

INSPECT the front suspension. INSTALL new components as necessary. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 204 for the procedure.

2. Steering gear clunk — occurs only while cornering over a bump (can be temperature sensitive). Steering gear INSPECT the steering gear for loose
mounting bolts. TIGHTEN to specification as necessary. REFER to Section 211-02.

3. Feedback (rattle, chuckle or knocking noise in the steering gear) — roughness is felt in the steering wheel when the vehicle is driven over rough surfaces.

Steering column shaft/coupling joints damaged or worn. INSTALL a new steering column shaft. REFER to Section 211-04.

Loose, damaged or worn tie-rod ends. INSPECT and INSTALL new tie-rod ends
as necessary. GO to Steering Linkage Component Test in this section.

Steering gear insulators or mounting bolts loose or damaged TIGHTEN the bolts to specification or INSTALL new bolts as necessary. REFER to Section 211-02.

Steering column shaft/coupling bolts are loose TIGHTEN the bolts to specification. REFER to Section 211-04.

Steering column damaged or worn. REPAIR or INSTALL a new steering
column as necessary. REFER to Section 211-04.

OP
OP
RaptorActual

RaptorActual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will gents took it to a shop finally and found out that I destroyed the 4x4 hubs I was not getting enough vacuum persure so the hubs stayed engaged I will be finding out how much damage there actually is on Monday.