Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bamared

Reaction score
agreed. just need to get 1 apart and see.... damn wish i was home i have both waiting till i get there. which will be 3 more months.....

I did read earlier that one companys springs for the Gen2 measured OD was 3.75 or something close. so much reading, so little memory. lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

So got my shocks delivered this week, and got the two rear shock on just fine! So Gen 2 rear OE shocks fit on Gen 1 just fine, although you will notice in my pics that they sent me 2 pass rear shocks. This doesn't hurt anything, just hides the fox stickers on the one side. I didn't even have to lift the truck, just used ratchet straps to compress the shocks and all better.
I still have to try the fronts, I'm a bit scared so far but this is good news for all of us 1st gen guys looking to save some money buying the gen 2 or shocks. This was $1400 for all 4 shocks, brand new, from Athens ford on EBay! Already saved money just on the tears!

Can you give an update on the rear shocks? Any issues?

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the overall lengths vs gen 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I got a set of shocks off of a 2017 Raptor and tried to fit on of the fronts so far. This is how it ended up. I removed to old shock and noticed that the studs on the hat are quite a bit longer on the old shock. I tried to simply install the gen2 shock but couldn’t get a nut on the stud when putting it through the strut mount. So I swapped the gen1 shock hat with the gen2 hat (they are the same except the stud length) I got it mounted in the strut mount but the additional length of the shock stopped me from being able to install the bottom bolt. I used spring compressors on the spring and compressed them as much as I could until the compressor started to hit the strut mount. The lower a arm in the picture is down as far as the axle will let it go and it still lacks a couple of inches from on being able to install the bottom shock bolt. I ran out of daylight and since the truck is my daily driver I swapped everything back for the time being.

I’m thinking if I either remove the axel from the steering knuckle or sepporate the lower ball joint I could get the lower portion of the shock into place. Not sure if at full extension it would cause issues with vacuum lines/brake lines/ and strain on the axel.

I've been asking for the length of the front shocks 17+ but after seeing this pic they are waaay too long to work on a gen 1. Spacer lifts are 1.5 inches and bring the angles to the limit...gen 2 front shocks look 3 inches longer?
With the 1.5 spacer it is enough to bring the upper a arm into the coil at full drop, additional length would make that even worse.
How to make them work? Springs should swap right out and then You could take the shock apart and change the stack to limit the length...

Or Long travel upper and lower a arms (lower shock mount would need to be pushed out then along with that the upper would need to be wider but then you might as well just get gen 1 Kings and be done with it

bamared

Reaction score
I've been asking for the length of the front shocks 17+ but after seeing this pic they are waaay too long to work on a gen 1. Spacer lifts are 1.5 inches and bring the angles to the limit...gen 2 front shocks look 3 inches longer?
With the 1.5 spacer it is enough to bring the upper a arm into the coil at full drop, additional length would make that even worse.
How to make them work? Springs should swap right out and then You could take the shock apart and change the stack to limit the length...

Or Long travel upper and lower a arms (lower shock mount would need to be pushed out then along with that the upper would need to be wider but then you might as well just get gen 1 Kings and be done with it

the Gen 2, bolts right in. the issue is the spring OD. There is a ton of research going into this, for example........
Did you know that the Gen2 is about 40 lbs less spring per inch when installed?
The Gen2 can be upgraded with eibach springs that are longer and provide 1.5" lift to front of GEN2 raptor rather than spacers, which when added brings the spring rate to 30 lbs per inch higher than Gen1 springs? so think about that...... this isnt even adding that the Gen2 has the ability to adapt a coil over setup for 550.00 from another company which is awesome.

like i said, alot of info going into this, as before the words were " they wont fit, they are to long, the bolts are different, zoning will be off, rears wont fit.....
Bolts are ok, and it will fit, just gotta get measurements to get the spring correct, which some of us know already what we need to make it work and just have to R&D Springs as the OD is to big.

Can I afford king 3.0.... yes. rather take advantage of Gen2 stocks for the price.

Last edited:

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the Gen 2, bolts right in. the issue is the spring OD. There is a ton of research going into this, for example........
Did you know that the Gen2 is about 40 lbs less spring per inch when installed?
The Gen2 can be upgraded with eibach springs that are longer and provide 1.5" lift to front of GEN2 raptor rather than spacers, which when added brings the spring rate to 30 lbs per inch higher than Gen1 springs? so think about that...... this isnt even adding that the Gen2 has the ability to adapt a coil over setup for 550.00 from another company which is awesome.

like i said, alot of info going into this, as before the words were " they wont fit, they are to long, the bolts are different, zoning will be off, rears wont fit.....
Bolts are ok, and it will fit, just gotta get measurements to get the spring correct, which some of us know already what we need to make it work and just have to R&D Springs as the OD is to big.

Can I afford king 3.0.... yes. rather take advantage of Gen2 stocks for the price.

They might bolt right in but they are too long. By a lot!
70a1189ff16697ac5a516d4a6354f2fd.jpg

Last edited:

bamared

Reaction score
yes i see. finally got someone to post a pic of the 2 next to each other. Now, imagine a 2" or 1.5" lift block on top of the Gen1 spring. They become "about" the same length.

Another observation i see here is the spring. Gen2 springs must be bigger OD by atlease 1/2 " or more. Which can be corrected.

What im more interested in, is " if dissassembled will the Gen1 spring fit on the spring perch of the Gen2? Regardless of the length". This is going to tell me alot, and which way to make it work.

Theory,
Option#1
If the Gen1 spring fits in the spring perch of Gen2, than the coil over system can be used on the Gen2 shock, with Gen1 spring and set for ride height. 580 lbs per inch and would easily be set for Mid Perch setting.

Option #2
Geisor spring for gen2 problem solved.

Option #3
Ill pay for 1 off custom springs to make it work.......... it cant be to difficult to find something that will work as so many options for the ford trucks between f150-f350 just finding the correct fitment and rates, but the coil over system makes that easier to manage.

Since you have both in front of you, take them apart for us and see what we got. ;)

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes i see. finally got someone to post a pic of the 2 next to each other. Now, imagine a 2" or 1.5" lift block on top of the Gen1 spring. They become "about" the same length.

Another observation i see here is the spring. Gen2 springs must be bigger OD by atlease 1/2 " or more. Which can be corrected.

What im more interested in, is " if dissassembled will the Gen1 spring fit on the spring perch of the Gen2? Regardless of the length". This is going to tell me alot, and which way to make it work.

Theory,
Option#1
If the Gen1 spring fits in the spring perch of Gen2, than the coil over system can be used on the Gen2 shock, with Gen1 spring and set for ride height. 580 lbs per inch and would easily be set for Mid Perch setting.

Option #2

Option #3
Ill pay for 1 off custom springs to make it work.......... it cant be to difficult to find something that will work as so many options for the ford trucks between f150-f350 just finding the correct fitment and rates, but the coil over system makes that easier to manage.

Since you have both in front of you, take them apart for us and see what we got. ;)

I think you're looking at moving the bucket that's welded to the frame up a couple inches.. Same in the rear. Move the upper shock mount higher since the ride zone on these new shocks is in a different spot to really make these work right.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Theory,
Option#1

Option #2

Option #3

Im sure the gen1 springs will work, however thats not the problem. Even with a 1.5 inch spacer block, the upper a arms crash into the spring at full drop (not to mention the severe angles on the cv's.)
That pic of the side by side isn't mine...but it looks closer to 3 inches which would make the above problems even worse.
What @downforce137 said, the best solution is to move the buckets up