Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1

This is a discussion on Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1 within the Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
Well, I just so happen to have a 2010 Raptor, 6.2, and the shocks are in need of a rebuild ...

User Tag List

Like Tree149Likes

Sponsored By: Fox - Redefining Ride Dynamics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, I just so happen to have a 2010 Raptor, 6.2, and the shocks are in need of a rebuild again. I have found gen 2 shocks on eBay from Athens ford. All 4 shocks for $1300, and I have ordered them last night so we can try this out! I'll be posting pics and keep you updated. I'm even trying out a front shock swap, not sure how well it will go, I know the spring rate will be wrong, but maybe i can swap my 1st gen springs into the 2nd gen frock shocks. If you guys have any advice, please let me know, and thanks!

George Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I would love to see this work. I understand there may be some work involved. Let us know how it goes and what fits vs doesnít fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07Alloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Gen2 shocks on gen1 raptor
So I got a set of shocks off of a 2017 Raptor and tried to fit on of the fronts so far. This is how it ended up. I removed to old shock and noticed that the studs on the hat are quite a bit longer on the old shock. I tried to simply install the gen2 shock but couldnít get a nut on the stud when putting it through the strut mount. So I swapped the gen1 shock hat with the gen2 hat (they are the same except the stud length) I got it mounted in the strut mount but the additional length of the shock stopped me from being able to install the bottom bolt. I used spring compressors on the spring and compressed them as much as I could until the compressor started to hit the strut mount. The lower a arm in the picture is down as far as the axle will let it go and it still lacks a couple of inches from on being able to install the bottom shock bolt. I ran out of daylight and since the truck is my daily driver I swapped everything back for the time being.
Iím thinking if I either remove the axel from the steering knuckle or sepporate the lower ball joint I could get the lower portion of the shock into place. Not sure if at full extension it would cause issues with vacuum lines/brake lines/ and strain on the axel.
Attached Thumbnails
c477fb3a-2a60-4a98-8cfc-0b22228760e4.jpg   fdfab5c7-1d75-4abd-a89b-3fe2f40c442f.jpg   af7c2c32-f21d-4c48-8922-f94b1fe5ed62.jpg  

c640e068-ee46-476c-b46b-b06efe21c8a8.jpg  
2014ford_raptorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Meme Corps Commandant

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

This thread just got good.
4x4juunkie and Jimster58 like this.

It is not who we are that matters....what matters is our memes...
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Full Access Member

That doesnít look good! Guessing the coil bucket would need moved and rewelded. Also gen 2 control arms maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07Alloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Full Access Member

once you take the outer nut off the cv axle, under that little cap, you'll have plenty of extra downward travel to get the shock in there. also, remove the top nut on the stailizer link, if you haven't. i cant tell in your pic.

Keep us updated.
Jimster58 likes this.

Last edited by downforce137; 10-16-2017 at 12:32 PM.
downforce137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I'm guessing the longer shock body length may limit your up travel with the stock control arm and upper mount. The shock will be partially compressed to fit in the Gen 1.

take the springs off both shocks and cycle them to get actual shock shaft travel numbers before you try cramming a longer shock on there.

If you can, measure the total shock length (eyelet to eyelet) on both, then the shaft stroke. You may be able to get this to work with aftermarket upper control arm, as they will let the arm drop out more.
Like others have said, disconnect the sway bay end link to get more arm travel.
Jimster58 and AndysLog like this.

2014 SCrew, 801a, Roush Stage 2, FOX 3.0 with DSC Front, FOX 3.0 rear, Method NV, 37 12.50-17 BFG K02.

Last edited by Canuck714; 10-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Canuck714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

I just got mine in the mail, this helps out a lot so far. I am worried about the shock clearing the driveshaft, seems like about a half inch of clearance with the stock shock. I won't be sure until I get to the point your at, but have you noticed that at all yet either?
George Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wfo
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by 2014ford_raptorguy View Post
So I got a set of shocks off of a 2017 Raptor and tried to fit on of the fronts so far. This is how it ended up. I removed to old shock and noticed that the studs on the hat are quite a bit longer on the old shock. I tried to simply install the gen2 shock but couldnít get a nut on the stud when putting it through the strut mount. So I swapped the gen1 shock hat with the gen2 hat (they are the same except the stud length) I got it mounted in the strut mount but the additional length of the shock stopped me from being able to install the bottom bolt. I used spring compressors on the spring and compressed them as much as I could until the compressor started to hit the strut mount. The lower a arm in the picture is down as far as the axle will let it go and it still lacks a couple of inches from on being able to install the bottom shock bolt. I ran out of daylight and since the truck is my daily driver I swapped everything back for the time being.
Iím thinking if I either remove the axel from the steering knuckle or sepporate the lower ball joint I could get the lower portion of the shock into place. Not sure if at full extension it would cause issues with vacuum lines/brake lines/ and strain on the axel.
What about the rears?
Wfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Any update?
Curious if you pulled the springs and cycled the 3.0 to see what travel numbers you get and if that longer shock will work up front.
Pretty sure the rear is a non-issue

2014 SCrew, 801a, Roush Stage 2, FOX 3.0 with DSC Front, FOX 3.0 rear, Method NV, 37 12.50-17 BFG K02.
Canuck714 is offline   Reply With Quote