Front Shock Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PGLMike

Reaction score
I am having a tough time installing the shock on the front passenger side. Driver side wasn't too bad. I disconnected the sway bar, tie rod and spindle, got the stock shock of out with no problem. But installing the new to me replacement with Geiser spring was a whole different story. The bottom eyelet would not line up in the lower control arm. It is only off by 15 degrees or at least that is what it looks like. So, I tried putting the bolt in and turning it, no luck. Tried turning it with a breaker bar, no luck. I ran out of time and had to leave the truck on the jack stand tonight. I am going to try and put on the McPherson Strut compressor and see if taking the tension off of the coil will allow me to spin the bottom of the shock to line up in the pocket in the lower control arm.

Anyone have any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just bolted up the top, and put a long extension in the bottom hole to turn the shock a bit. Happened on my drivers side since I guess I didnt line it up perfect. If you had to turn it 90, id probably compress the spring, but a few degrees is fine with the spring intact

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LONG extension. Like 18" long. Make sure to watch that top spring bucket or it will spin out of position. The trick is to assemble it in the proper position when first installing the spring (or close to it). We had the same issue and had to take it apart to get it right. Same side, too.

Good luck!

OP
OP
PGLMike

PGLMike

Reaction score
So I ended up having to use the coil compressor to release some tension before I could use a 1/2 in drive extension to spin the eyelet. I finger tightened the top bolts to keep it in place and was able to get it seated pretty quick.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk