Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Took to dealer for annual inspection and ask them to check out the front end noise. Tech was confident that it was the sway bar end links, although the links appeared to look and operate fine, I ordered up a set of Moog end links and swapped them out. Noise is still present, only good thing is it was simple.

Being that the noise was not present prior the shocks being rebuilt and mid perch I am debating on going back to the low perch.

Does anyone have the clunk while one the stock perch?

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took to dealer for annual inspection and ask them to check out the front end noise. Tech was confident that it was the sway bar end links, although the links appeared to look and operate fine, I ordered up a set of Moog end links and swapped them out. Noise is still present, only good thing is it was simple.

Being that the noise was not present prior the shocks being rebuilt and mid perch I am debating on going back to the low perch.

I'm betting it's your ball joints and/or hubs. I didn't notice my ball joints and hubs being bad until after the shock swap. Hubs are easy to check with the front wheels off the ground. Just grab the wheel at the 3 & 9 to confirm its not the tie rods moving then check at the 12 & 6. Any play is bad and if it clunks like mine you know they are bad. I can't remember for the ball joints but I didn't need to check them due to the lack of resistance in them when swapping shocks.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm stock and I have it

john.rubicon.54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped my shocks with a rebuilt set and I still have the clunk. Guess I'll check the hubs next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the laundry list of replaced parts comes to:
Lower ball joints x 2, Tie rods x 2, Shocks of course, new hubs x 2 and new IWE's x 2.

Happy to report all is quiet on the front end now.

I was able to wiggle the Hubs by hand when I took them off, and one of the IWE's disintegrated in my hand the other had definite signs a metal wear. Sharp edges and debris.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the laundry list of replaced parts comes to:
Lower ball joints x 2, Tie rods x 2, Shocks of course, new hubs x 2 and new IWE's x 2.

Happy to report all is quiet on the front end now.

I was able to wiggle the Hubs by hand when I took them off, and one of the IWE's disintegrated in my hand the other had definite signs a metal wear. Sharp edges and debris.
Couple questions.
How much for the ball joints, tie rods, hubs, and IWEs? If you have that.
Also, how difficult was it to replace all that? How much time?

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie Rods @ 27.00 x 2
Ball Joints @49.00 x 2
IWE's @ 127.00 pair. ???
Hubs @ 225.00 ea x 2

Not hard and there is a bunch of Youtube videos on it to help you come up with a plan for doing the work. Just remember the first side will take you 3 times longer at least than the second side (you'll have learned the technique by then).

Plan for at least a full workday or two if your not real experienced.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie Rods @ 27.00 x 2
Ball Joints @49.00 x 2
IWE's @ 127.00 pair. ???
Hubs @ 225.00 ea x 2

Not hard and there is a bunch of Youtube videos on it to help you come up with a plan for doing the work. Just remember the first side will take you 3 times longer at least than the second side (you'll have learned the technique by then).

Plan for at least a full workday or two if your not real experienced.
Thank you!