Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in new Fox 3.0s on the front and I've got the clunking going on. At 128k though and based upon the level of carnage my wife's MKX suffered after 2 yrs in CO I am going to assume that replacing ball joints and hubs is in my near future. I am thinking that new lower shock bolts might be in order also. Not sure what the wear level is on them but they have to stretch a little and wear some over time due to the high torque requirement and function. I'm wondering if that is the source due to most aftermarket upgrade shocks having metal bushings and I'm sure they are machined with a factory fresh bolt spec vice a stretched and worn bolt diameter in mind.

Not sure how your bolts are obviously, but I replace the one on my passanger side which is the worst side and it didn't help. The brand new bolt and the original one both measured the same width, .784 IN. They are spendie buggers at $20 for each bolt and $39 for each nut so check them before you waste money on a new one. I didn't get a nut, figure it would be fine. That sounded bad haha. But I did turn the bolt around so the head is on the back side of the control arm and the nut is facing forward, this made it a lot easier to torque.

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how your bolts are obviously, but I replace the one on my passanger side which is the worst side and it didn't help. The brand new bolt and the original one both measured the same width, .784 IN. They are spendie buggers at $20 for each bolt and $39 for each nut so check them before you waste money on a new one. I didn't get a nut, figure it would be fine. That sounded bad haha. But I did turn the bolt around so the head is on the back side of the control arm and the nut is facing forward, this made it a lot easier to torque.

I got the lower shock mounts torqued to spec finally and quite a bit of the racket going on went away. I've narrowed the rest down to the ball joints. They are definitely shot. I'll be at the auto craft center next weekend swapping them out and putting new tierods in and then getting the alignment.

The noise I'm left with is associated with definite feedback thru the steering wheel and not when I feel the shocks working over a bump so I guess it is to be expected at my miles and environment. I will say everything lasted quite a bit longer on the Raptor than any other truck I've owned. Hell, I was on the third set of ball joints on my Xterra at 65k when I sold it.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Experiencing same clunk here on the passenger side front. Had shocks rebuilt and ball joints replaced by Rory at Raptor Kustoms (highly recommended BTW). Had clunk before, have after. I watched Rory torque every dam thing down but clearly not associated with shocks or ball joints. Only makes sounds at low speeds (<35mph). I suspect it's in the steering rack or steering box, although the box is on the driver's side, but everything else is pretty new or torqued. Sent a note to Fox and they indicated that the lower shock bushings probably arent the culprit. Driving me bananas. Would sure like it if Ford would weigh in here. My truck has 95K miles and this is the only funky noise it has....

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed my Icons yesterday. Front end is tight and quiet as can be! The way it should have been to begin with. I haven't caught any air, but these Icons are solid and embarrass my stock Fox's hands down.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my Icons yesterday. Front end is tight and quiet as can be! The way it should have been to begin with. I haven't caught any air, but these Icons are solid and embarrass my stock Fox's hands down.
That's awesome.
Since I'm not a desert runner, I'm hoping I can achieve the same "tight and quiet" results when I take my shocks off later this year to have them rebuilt.

BRAAAPTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's awesome.
Since I'm not a desert runner, I'm hoping I can achieve the same "tight and quiet" results when I take my shocks off later this year to have them rebuilt.

Good luck. I just had mine rebuilt and still have the dreaded clunk. It didn't help the noise at all. I was bummed.

keywestjeff

Reaction score
Good luck. I just had mine rebuilt and still have the dreaded clunk. It didn't help the noise at all. I was bummed.
Just had brand new ones put on at the dealership still clunked they replace tie rods and some bushins and all is good now

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk