Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any movement in the lower shock bolt even with it off the ground the 3.0s have less contact area around the lower shock bolt hole on the shock and I can see down into the inside of the aluminum ears on the LCA and I can't see any rub/wear marks or gouging around the spacer. I tried to take a video with my gopro of the LCA bushings and shock mount can't see anything happening with the shock mount probably because of the location of the camera but there is a lot of movement in the LCA bushings. I can't load the video from my phone so I'll have to wait until I get to a computer to load it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

I'm running 42 psi in my grabbers what did you lower yours to ?

39 front, 35 rear on my 37" KO2s

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the front end clunk with the OEM Fox's, had the lower control arm bolts torqued, didn't help. The noise is definitely worse when warm. I think I finally have it isolated to something in the steering. From combing through a lot of threads I think it will end up being the intermediate shaft. When the truck is off if I rock the steering back and forth I can hear the clunk clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the rack fail by my fault of course. and it made sounds similar to yours

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Can you confirm for me that you lifted the front of the truck so the tires are off of the ground, then used a pry bar to check for movement? That's when I get a decent amount of wiggle. More on the passenger than the driver. I pry between the bottom of the shock and the control arm and it wiggles up and down.

I checked again today because it's been a little bit since I have done so but there is still no movement at the lower shock bolt. I'm stumped

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the rack fail by my fault of course. and it made sounds similar to yours

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

I checked again today because it's been a little bit since I have done so but there is still no movement at the lower shock bolt. I'm stumped

Well shittttttttttttttttttt. In 4x4 it makes the noise, everything is tight it makes the noise. The only think I have that is a possibility is my lower shock mount bushing. But yours does it and you have no play in yours. I'm stumped as well.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well shittttttttttttttttttt. In 4x4 it makes the noise, everything is tight it makes the noise. The only think I have that is a possibility is my lower shock mount bushing. But yours does it and you have no play in yours. I'm stumped as well.

There is even some dirt and thin layer of dry mud around the bolt and spacer and you can see there is no movement or else the dirt would be cracked or rubbed off. The only thing I can possibly think of that is left is the rubber in the LCA is getting weak and worn out. I have 120k on the truck. Or some thing with a ball joint binding one thing I have noticed about mine is it only happens during the drop of the suspension not on the compression at least as far as I can tell

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is even some dirt and thin layer of dry mud around the bolt and spacer and you can see there is no movement or else the dirt would be cracked or rubbed off. The only thing I can possibly think of that is left is the rubber in the LCA is getting weak and worn out. I have 120k on the truck. Or some thing with a ball joint binding one thing I have noticed about mine is it only happens during the drop of the suspension not on the compression at least as far as I can tell

Okay. I found something that sounds like my sound in the rear end. By the time it travels up to the cab it's a little more muffled of course, but sounds like my sound. Also makes sense I only hear it at low speeds. It's the rear drive shaft ends. I'll post a video when I get to the computer. Happens on both sides. I wonder what it is exactly. I don't know enough about all of the parts and pieces at the wheels/rear end. At first I thought somehow the wheels were loose.

Here it is https://youtu.be/4hbdzSGD-As

Last edited:

keywestjeff

Reaction score
The noise is normal i live in toronto canada at the dealership a footnote always comes up to say the noise is normal its from the shocks just had mine replaced and it still makes that noise

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. I found something that sounds like my sound in the rear end. By the time it travels up to the cab it's a little more muffled of course, but sounds like my sound. Also makes sense I only hear it at low speeds. It's the rear drive shaft ends. I'll post a video when I get to the computer. Happens on both sides. I wonder what it is exactly. I don't know enough about all of the parts and pieces at the wheels/rear end. At first I thought somehow the wheels were loose.

Here it is https://youtu.be/4hbdzSGD-As

Did you find out what was going on with your rear axle? Is that the sound your getting or is it normal? I noticed a sound from the rear end also and checked it and both sides do it up and down and also in and out. Have also noticed a little slack in the trans or gears when I let of the gas and then back on it.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you find out what was going on with your rear axle? Is that the sound your getting or is it normal? I noticed a sound from the rear end also and checked it and both sides do it up and down and also in and out. Have also noticed a little slack in the trans or gears when I let of the gas and then back on it.

It's normal play that all of the trucks with E-lockers have. Ends up that is without a doubt normal, also without a doubt not my noise either, unfortunately.

Mine is definitely from the front. :flipthebird: you front end noise!