Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like what I have going on. What shocks are on it right now ?

Factory Fox are on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I wish this was the noise I had to deal with. Mine is definitely more. Ford tech admitted it's not that noise. But didn't know what it was. This was before I crawled under and realized there was a lot of play around the lower shock mount bushing and that pretty blue bolt.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory Fox are on now.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I wish this was the noise I had to deal with. Mine is definitely more. Ford tech admitted it's not that noise. But didn't know what it was. This was before I crawled under and realized there was a lot of play around the lower shock mount bushing and that pretty blue bolt.

I agree I wish this was it seems to be an easy fix but I agree it's not this. Only diff between mine and yours is I have 3.0s and I can't see any movement around the shock bolt.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree I wish this was it seems to be an easy fix but I agree it's not this. Only diff between mine and yours is I have 3.0s and I can't see any movement around the shock bolt.

Well crap. There went my theory. We had a warmer day here in Dallas yesterday and today. The noise was very very faint. Way worse when cold.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you confirm for me that you lifted the front of the truck so the tires are off of the ground, then used a pry bar to check for movement? That's when I get a decent amount of wiggle. More on the passenger than the driver. I pry between the bottom of the shock and the control arm and it wiggles up and down.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you confirm for me that you lifted the front of the truck so the tires are off of the ground, then used a pry bar to check for movement? That's when I get a decent amount of wiggle. More on the passenger than the driver. I pry between the bottom of the shock and the control arm and it wiggles up and down.

I didn't see any movement in the lower shock bolt even with it off the ground the 3.0s have less contact area around the lower shock bolt hole on the shock and I can see down into the inside of the aluminum ears on the LCA and I can't see any rub/wear marks or gouging around the spacer. I tried to take a video with my gopro of the LCA bushings and shock mount can't see anything happening with the shock mount probably because of the location of the camera but there is a lot of movement in the LCA bushings. I can't load the video from my phone so I'll have to wait until I get to a computer to load it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Lowered my tire pressure. Clunk is much improved.

I'm running 42 psi in my grabbers what did you lower yours to ?

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any movement in the lower shock bolt even with it off the ground the 3.0s have less contact area around the lower shock bolt hole on the shock and I can see down into the inside of the aluminum ears on the LCA and I can't see any rub/wear marks or gouging around the spacer. I tried to take a video with my gopro of the LCA bushings and shock mount can't see anything happening with the shock mount probably because of the location of the camera but there is a lot of movement in the LCA bushings. I can't load the video from my phone so I'll have to wait until I get to a computer to load it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

I'm running 42 psi in my grabbers what did you lower yours to ?

Cool. I would like to see the video. I need to strap one of my go pros up to mine.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So for some reason I can't get any of my videos to upload. The bushing have a lot of horizontal movement forward and backwards is this the way they are designed?

I "believe" so, but I'm not expert with control arms. They are supposed to have a bit of lateral/horizontal movement from I have always heard.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the front end clunk with the OEM Fox's, had the lower control arm bolts torqued, didn't help. The noise is definitely worse when warm. I think I finally have it isolated to something in the steering. From combing through a lot of threads I think it will end up being the intermediate shaft. When the truck is off if I rock the steering back and forth I can hear the clunk clearly.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the front end clunk with the OEM Fox's, had the lower control arm bolts torqued, didn't help. The noise is definitely worse when warm. I think I finally have it isolated to something in the steering. From combing through a lot of threads I think it will end up being the intermediate shaft. When the truck is off if I rock the steering back and forth I can hear the clunk clearly.

Hmmmmmm. I assume that you cannot feel it in the steering?