Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowered my tire pressure. Clunk is much improved.

My opinion is by no means professional but I think that it would do that because it allows the tire to soak up more energy instead of dispersing it to the suspension.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

I just tried something. I wrapped tie down straps around the a arm by the bushing and wrench down as hard as I could hoping it would stop any extra movement... It actually helped quite a bit. Still does it over some larger bumps I'm assuming because the straps can't hold the full force of the suspension energy. But it did help. I hate to go buy LCAs just try my theory but I really think it is these bushings. Are these bushings replaceable?

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you on Mid Perch? Mine were quite, other than a swoosh from front shock having a seal leak. When I had them rebuilt I moved to mid perch and now have the clunk. I'm considering going back to lower, but would prefer the make the clunk go away and keep on mid perch.

Yes, I'm on mid perch. The truck was like that when I bought it with 6k miles on it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though? Pretty sure folks with bottom perch still have the issue.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Popped up about 2 months ago and driving me insane. I will figure it out at some point (I hope). I have made sure everything is tight, and it is/was. At this point I'm thinking it is prematurely worn bushings on something. They all "appear" to be perfect condition. Truck has 24,000 miles on it. I am going to dig into it a little more tonight I hope. I took it by a dealership and of course they didn't find anything, but at least there is record now.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I checked everything under the truck, literally. Checked all bushings for play and nothing has play. The only thing we could find is the lower shock mount. It had some play. The bolts are torqued to about 440ft/lbs just to make sure, but the shock itself still moves a little more than I would think it is supposed to. Almost as if the lower shock mount bushing is bad. The passenger side moves more than the driver side, and most of the noise and feel in the floorboard is more prominent on the passenger side. So I see 2 ways of ruling this the culprit or not. Having everyone and their grandmother tell me that it should have play, or someone donate icon or king coilovers so i can swap out and see if that fixes it. :ROFLJest: Spending $2,500 to "see if it fixes it" I can't fully wrap my head around yet. Anyone want to do a swap so I can see? HAHA

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I checked everything under the truck, literally. Checked all bushings for play and nothing has play. The only thing we could find is the lower shock mount. It had some play. The bolts are torqued to about 440ft/lbs just to make sure, but the shock itself still moves a little more than I would think it is supposed to. Almost as if the lower shock mount bushing is bad. The passenger side moves more than the driver side, and most of the noise and feel in the floorboard is more prominent on the passenger side. So I see 2 ways of ruling this the culprit or not. Having everyone and their grandmother tell me that it should have play, or someone donate icon or king coilovers so i can swap out and see if that fixes it. :ROFLJest: Spending $2,500 to "see if it fixes it" I can't fully wrap my head around yet. Anyone want to do a swap so I can see? HAHA

Sounds exactly like what I have going on. What shocks are on it right now ?

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I read that thread when this started. It's not a noise generated from starting or stopping it's something suspension wise. I don't get any noise from start/stop only when driving and at all speeds. I don't believe it is from the fluid in the shocks because I can hear that too. This is quite a bit louder. And definitely comes from front corners. Worse on passenger side than driver side.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read that thread when this started. It's not a noise generated from starting or stopping it's something suspension wise. I don't get any noise from start/stop only when driving and at all speeds. I don't believe it is from the fluid in the shocks because I can hear that too. This is quite a bit louder. And definitely comes from front corners. Worse on passenger side than driver side.

Got a GoPro you can mount under there and capture the sound? Might be easier to help diagnose. You check to see if the intermediary steering rack was binding?

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/help-horrible-steering-noise-47698/

Last edited: