Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

Front end clunk

This is a discussion on Front end clunk within the Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
Has anyone figured out what the front end clunk on some of our trucks is. Sounds like a bad ball ...

User Tag List

Like Tree15Likes

Sponsored By: Fox - Redefining Ride Dynamics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Front end clunk
Has anyone figured out what the front end clunk on some of our trucks is. Sounds like a bad ball joint or something ... Seemed to get worse after installing fox 3.0s. Can anyone help me out or point me towards a current thread. This is really driving me crazy listening to it all the time. Almost don't like driving the truck anymore

Ratpatator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

In the same boat, had my shocks rebuilt and went to mid perch and had the clunk ever since. Heard it could be the lower shock bolt not being torqued enough(400 ft lbs) but I re torqued and still have it. But have heard other have had success, might want to give it a shot.

I'm all ear if someone has another idea.
MrMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by MrMayhem View Post
In the same boat, had my shocks rebuilt and went to mid perch and had the clunk ever since. Heard it could be the lower shock bolt not being torqued enough(400 ft lbs) but I re torqued and still have it. But have heard other have had success, might want to give it a shot.

I'm all ear if someone has another idea.
I actually have my lower shock bolts torqued to 425 and it didn't help I just tore into my front end to replace the cv joint on the driver side and I turns out that the passenger side was bad too after I get it back together and test run it ill let you know everything is pretty much new on the front end the only possibilities left was the cv axles, the upper or lower a arm bushings, or body mounts
Old 12-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea, let me know what find. I been racking my brain trying to figure it out, with out replacing everything.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
New CV on both sides the driver side had on joint bound up and both were shot on the pass. It did help out and silenced some of the noise in the front but I still have the knock. Only thing I can think of is the bushings on the lower control arm are going bad. I don't think it's the shocks. I have the 3.0s. I know they make noise but this is different I think. But I don't know for sure. I need to find someone with the same shocks and compare the noise.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default Clunk
Originally Posted by Ratpatator View Post
Has anyone figured out what the front end clunk on some of our trucks is. Sounds like a bad ball joint or something ... Seemed to get worse after installing fox 3.0s. Can anyone help me out or point me towards a current thread. This is really driving me crazy listening to it all the time. Almost don't like driving the truck anymore
I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are but I can tell you that if it's cold out and you drive over small shattery type of bumps the shocks will make a clunking noise. I know stock will anyways.
Paratrooper84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Paratrooper84 View Post
I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are but I can tell you that if it's cold out and you drive over small shattery type of bumps the shocks will make a clunking noise. I know stock will anyways.
What kind of sound should I expect. I can hear a little bit of chattering sound over small stuff in parking lots and so on but I also get a much louder clunk or knock sound that you can feel in the floor board when I hit patches or potholes in the road seems to be worse at low speeds but still there at interstate speed sometimes. It also does it whether it's warn or cold out but worse when cold

Last edited by Ratpatator; 12-15-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

This has been discussed many times. Ford says it's the shocks and it's normal. Didn't buy it at first, but I do now.

After several dealer visits with attempts to solve the knock, I just accept it and go on with my life. Still sucks having to listen to it. Mine is definitely worse in the winter.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Rickoo View Post
This has been discussed many times. Ford says it's the shocks and it's normal. Didn't buy it at first, but I do now.

After several dealer visits with attempts to solve the knock, I just accept it and go on with my life. Still sucks having to listen to it. Mine is definitely worse in the winter.
Are you on Mid Perch? Mine were quite, other than a swoosh from front shock having a seal leak. When I had them rebuilt I moved to mid perch and now have the clunk. I'm considering going back to lower, but would prefer the make the clunk go away and keep on mid perch.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
I've been questioning the LCA bushings? With extra force from changing perch position or going with 3.0 is it causing them to make a knock sound? Are guys with aftermarket LCA having the same problem or is it only ones with stock LCA. What does everyone have and is it knocking? I understand that these shocks are noisy but the noise and feel I am getting does not seem right.