The Fox Shock Perch Adjustment Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtest...ptor_first_drive/features_specifications.html

Four Wheeler Mag Wrote:
Level It Out
Like all factory pickups, the Raptor comes from the factory with a nose-down or "stink bug" stance. For those who don't plan on loading up the bed, we think that a leveled Raptor would be more appealing from a styling standpoint, as well as a functional one as it would increase the approach angle. As we were examining the cut-away of the front Fox shocks, we noticed a curious "manufacturing artifact." Hidden behind the spring perch appears to be a little present left by the team at Fox Racing Shox. Shown here by the arrows, the factory Raptor shocks have three detents with a wire clip. We surmise that you could level out the Raptor without ever taking the shocks off the truck. All you would need is a coil spring compressor and some common hand tools. The middle detent appears to be enough to level the Raptor, while the second one is there for those who want a nose-high stance. Now, you are on your own if you make the mod and we can't vouch for any warranty claims, but the option appears to be there. Thanks Fox!
129_0912_08_z+2010_ford_f150_svt_raptor+shocks_wire_clip.jpg

Questions: Does the truck need to be realigned after this mod? I was just quoted $475 from a Ford service dept to make the adjustment and to realign. Does that seem kind of steep to you?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just called a local suspension shop and they quoted $110 per side, and $85 for an alignment. I asked if it needed to be aligned and the answer was "It should be."

Thoughts?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just called 4WheelParts (I have a store local to me). They said they'll pull the assembly out of the truck (rather than compress the spring in place). They've never done one, but he suspected it would take 2 hours per side, $90 per hour, $360 before alignment (required for an additional $125).

This is turning out to be a damn expensive mod!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate to ask this because I know the answer ("because") but...

why.jpg

Why? What is the fascination and desire to modify the most unique and best performing part of the Raptor, the suspension? How can raising the front end an inch or whatever the final lift is be important enough to take a chance and compromise the suspension's performance?

3794549.jpg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:)

As far as I understand, this particular way of lifting the nose has no adverse affects. Can anyone confirm that?

In my particular case, I've negatively affected my approach angle up front, with the addition of my Bull Bar. Raising the nose a couple inches will bring that approach angle right back to as good as stock, if not even a little better.

So... that's why.

:)

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PS: Approach angle came into play during the second Raptor Run Dan (the part after we got separated). Take a look at a few pics I took of Justin's rig making the decent:

justin1.jpg

You can't really see how close our noses got to the dirt in this pic. But it WAS close.
justin2.jpg

justin3.jpg

I'm fairly certain that if I had had my bar/hooks then, they would have been digging into the ground. If raising the nose a couple inches buys me back the ability to clear an obstacle like that, why not?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Yes I agree with Big J the reason I want to is to increase front end clearance...I havd hit the front many times and I am hoping the added lift can help avoid my truck being used as a dozer.

The prices you have been quoted Big J seem a little steep for alignment. I usually get it done for under $100 and there is a local guy who sill do it for $50. I bought a spring compressor at Pep Boys for $40 but I would rather have someone experienced take care of it. My mechanic told me he has done some TRD Tacomas with the Bilstiens in a similar way so I was going to have him look at it.

MarkT did as really informative write-up on the forumz on how the adjustment affects preload and the pluses and minuses of the whole deal...maybe he can help us out here???

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand the benefit of having more ground clearance but I'll wait to see if/how it affects the suspension's performance. Getting an inch, maybe two could help but only if there's no cost. Unfortunately all too often modifying the suspension to get additional ground clearance has a cost associated with it (affecting the suspension's performance). I prefer to be conservative when it comes to modifying the most unique aspect of the Raptor.

Perhaps modifying the front bumper (going to a pre-runner style bumper) is the way to go for those after gaining front clearance.

By the way Jason, I suspect your bull bar has decreased your approach angle giving you less clearance for obstacles you're approaching. Perhaps that's a reason you're looking at lifting the front.

An inch might have helped avoid this (a souvenir of rock crawling in Death Valley):

IMG_2318.jpg

We've been there since then. Here's Jeffrey coming down following me...

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just went out and rigged something up so I could take a quick couple of measurements. I ran a piece of packing tape from the front of the tire, right where the tire meets the ground, to various points on the front bumper. I then used a clinometer to measure the change in angle.

For comparison, stock approach angle is advertised at 29.8degrees. But that doesn't mean much, since they measured it at the center of the tire's contact patch, something I cant do.

With my rig I was able to measure stock to be 24 degrees. I measured to where the stock tow hook would have been.

I adjusted out to my actual approach angle (as changed by the bull bar), and measured a 22 degree approach.

I then adjusted the rig to where I think the bull bar will be when the front is raised via the perch (I stayed conservative and went up 1.5"). The new angle came it at right between 25/26 degrees.

So for stock guys, I'm not sure the additional 1/2 degree increase is really that beneficial. Hell, now that I see the numbers, the 3-4degree increase isn't worth it for me either (not given the $300 pricetag)

Thoughts? Maybe go out and measure yours to double check me?