Fox 3.0 rear bypass custom tuning/valving anyone ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi gents !

As my shocks are now in service department and are about to be opnened, I would like to tune the valving a little...

Basically the FOX rear 3.0" Shocks feel way to stiff for me, got a lot of bouncing, no matter if put the softest compression/rebound setting...On the big stuff the truck isnt performing that bad, but on all the small stuff like potholes, small washouts, it's awful to say the least...I wouldnt be worried if I didnt have the chance to test @JanT truck which have Icon 3.0" on all corners...The difference was night and day, and I really believe I can't achieve the same level of comfort with just adjusters...

Before someone ask, front shocks are totally fine, with corect preload (a tad over mid perch), and I run Deaver +3" / bump stops...

So I'd like to know if some of you guys did experience the same feeling of harshness, and did some custom tuning ? I know @RPG (and @svc ?) is offering a custom valving but obviously they will keep their magic formula, but any advice is welcome ! :favorites13:

nbg-mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the RPG one withe Deaver +3, same problem as you. I was thinking that if I change the shocks and the leaf's the Tricks feels much much more comfortable. But..... yes it's better but not that feeling I look for. As you discripe it, it's very stiff

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys, What do you currently have the bypass settings to? Nitrogen Pressure?

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the truck is performing "okay" in the bigger stuff, but the small "chop" is the issue I would recommend checking the tire pressure first.

OP
OP
Fb73

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, What do you currently have the bypass settings to? Nitrogen Pressure?

It has to be the stock pressure, when coming out of the factory...Shocks are on rebuild right now and they gonna check the pressure and all other values to confirm everything was OK inside the shock...I read on that board that 200 PSI was a good pressure for the 3.0" ?

If the truck is performing "okay" in the bigger stuff, but the small "chop" is the issue I would recommend checking the tire pressure first.

We were between 21 and 29 PSI, depending of the terrain, even lower when crawling in the sand dunes...

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im Sorry.. Let me clarify. What are the ByPass tube setting at? Where were they serviced?

ckanderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree. Running Fox 3.0's here and its amazing how stiff they are on potholes/frost heaves things like that. Ive run multiple shock setups (2.5 to 3.5's) on dodge diesels (Carli,Thuren) and they have driven smooth on road and firm up on jumps.

Really annoying actually.