Fox 3.0 clunking still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjgaumer

Reaction score
fellas,

just put in fox 3.0s' all around and am getting a loud pop/clunk going over speed bumps or small bumps in the road. Both sides, checked tie rods, balls joints, etc. Torqued lower bolt, top bolts.

Still cannot figure it out. Any ideas?

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
It could be the valves in the shocks. Rear are loud with the windows down....

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rjgaumer

rjgaumer

Reaction score
That would make sense except I don't believe the fronts have valves.. is it possible the lower heims have play in them?

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've watched my 3.0's as I used an impact wrench the switched to a torque multiplier to finish off with the torque wrench. When they say 406 ft. lbs. they mean it. There was still play in there at 250. There was definite movement of the LCA when clamping down as I torqued them down.

OP
OP
rjgaumer

rjgaumer

Reaction score
played around a little more today with it and when standing outside by the truck and having someone drive over a rock, its a "popping" noise on the rebound. Sounds like the springs?

video, fast forward to 20seconds (all in slow mo) : https://vimeo.com/211430855

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjgaumer

rjgaumer

Reaction score
turns out these were for a crew cab.. I guess it matters and the spring lengths are different. According to fox.

Andrrw

Reaction score
Did you resolve the issue? Just installe mine and they sound awful. The fronts sound like they are not attached and the rears sound like marbles inside a tin can. I called fox and they told me the the coil overs are the exact same for both cab styles. I have the small cab. The noise is driving me nuts.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you resolve the issue? Just installe mine and they sound awful. The fronts sound like they are not attached and the rears sound like marbles inside a tin can. I called fox and they told me the the coil overs are the exact same for both cab styles. I have the small cab. The noise is driving me nuts.
The rear nose is the valves. All Offroad shocks do this. It’s called bypass.

Most likely in the front check the shock pressure should be 200psi with a lossless gage and double check the top bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrrw

Reaction score
The rear nose is the valves. All Offroad shocks do this. It’s called bypass.

Most likely in the front check the shock pressure should be 200psi with a lossless gage and double check the top bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you I will check ASAP. I ordered the gauge from fox. I think it’s lossless. It screws on and then has a seat that turns so not nitrogen is lost. I think a very small amount will be released but hopefully not enough o make a difference. Appreciate the reply.