Firestone air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just finished putting on the Firestone air bags (Raptor specific bags). It took about 4 hours, but a lot of time was undoing the frame kit and removing it and working around built in obstacles. Once the top bracket was on, it was 20-30 minutes to done per side. I put the air valve right above the bag to eliminate a long line and potential problems in brush.

I tried helper springs and they worked but hit the frame on hard bumps under load. I have a set of 1000lb add-a-leaf type springs but never installed them.

My Raptor has 24,000 miles and 9-10,000 has been towing and will probably always be used for towing a lot.

For me, springs were not the answer. With bags, they're there when I need them and not when I don't (deflated). I can keep the factory ride for everyday and jack it up if I have a load. Which is another reason for the bags over springs........ I sometime tow an excavator, pushing 6000++, and some times a ATV, 1500. I can adjust as needed. Springs just won't do that for me.

Time will tell if this is the right answer.

Last edited:

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Just finished putting on the Firestone air bags (Raptor specific bags). It took about 4 hours, but a lot of time was undoing the frame kit and removing it and working around built in obstacles. Once the top bracket was on, it was 20-30 minutes to done per side. I put the air valve right above the bag to eliminate a long line and potential problems in brush.

I tried helper springs and they worked but hit the frame on hard bumps under load. I have a set of 1000lb add-a-leaf type springs but never installed them.

My Raptor has 24,000 miles and 9-10,000 has been towing and will probably always be used for towing a lot.

For me, springs were not the answer. With bags, they're there when I need them and not when I don't (deflated). I can keep the factory ride for everyday and jack it up if I have a load. Which is another reason for the bags over springs........ I sometime tow an excavator, pushing 6000++, and some times a ATV, 1500. I can adjust as needed. Spring just won't do that for me.

Time will tell if this is the right answer.

Once I install my Geiser Bro's progressive springs and level out my Raptor I may have to go this route too for towing my 7700lbs toybox. Right now when I tow I sit level with the back end drop so once I level I'll be nose high...

OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pics, it did happen!! I should note that the truck was jacked up from the frame and the first photo shows the axle hanging all the way down. The bag still had more length at that time.

As installed and what you see when the tire's back on.

ab1_zpstzvrwtx9.jpg

ab2_zpsnwr5hdyw.jpg

Last edited:

Hopp150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much did this raise the back of your truck with the minimum 10 PSI required to prevent damage to the bags? I installed mine this week and I was surprised to find the truck sitting a little over an inch higher in the rear. Not complaining, just curious.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder - do they offer a frame protection plate with this kit? Under load, wouldn't the airbag generate a lot of force in the weaker area much like the issues associated with the other bent frames? Especially with a heavy trailer attached?

Not trying to cause any problems here, but it may be an issue to consider.

Installation looks great. We've put these on all of our 1 ton pickups and they really help with the ride under load.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Looking at the airbags installed it will be interesting to see if they get damaged by flying rocks while off-road. Hopefully there will be some status updates on this as time goes on...

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this? I'll be towing my vette a few thousand miles again in Sept. for Hot Rod Drag Week and def need something to level it out.

I looked at the adjustable bump stop kits but don't really want to drop $1400 for something I hardly going to use.

Also, where did you end up buying them from?

- Travis

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some answers, but I'm about to do a 2000 mile tow starting next week and I will have more answers.

I had a frame kit but had to remove it to put the upper bag frame on. The upper bag frame looks to be stronger than the kit I took off. It also replaces the bump stop.

Yes, air raised the back a couple inches. I played with their minimum setting and it was to low. I've since put in only 14lb air pressure and it seems close to what I want for regular driving. It will hit what I'm assuming to be an internal bump stop on a hard bump.

I don't think they will be damaged from rocks unless it gets between the bag and tire. I went out of my way to route the short air line to prevent it from being damaged. I would still like to carry a couple extra air lines...just in case??

I don't have the company name handy. Goog it as Raptor and air bag and it will show up.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How easy does it go on? Realistically I only tow long distance once a year so I'll just install it and uninstall it after the trip. Does the kit come with a T firing to just have one shrader fill valve or no...

- Travis