Differential breather hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my fluid out in January. Had the same thing happen. It was 20 degrees outside when I did it and not on perfectly flat ground so once the weather warmed up and I got it heated up it started venting out. All good now, though.

Lvrkight6481

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same problem with my 2013 and after 3 trips to the dealer oh this and that. They finally rebuilt the rear end saying it was overheating causing the overflow. Hope this helps.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had same problem with my 2013 and after 3 trips to the dealer oh this and that. They finally rebuilt the rear end saying it was overheating causing the overflow. Hope this helps.

How many miles were on your truck when the dealer rebuilt the rear end?

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this?

My truck just started doing the same thing.....found diff fluid coming out of the top of the breather tube.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

bwep

Reaction score
My truck also was blowing fluid out the vent tube. They preformed the following TSB and it has not done it since the repair.

TSB 14-0090

05/01/14

CLICK/SNAP NOISE ON INITIAL ACCELERATION FROM A STOP - BUILT
ON 1/1/2011 AND THROUGH 4/1/2014

FORD: 2011-2014 F-150http://ecoboostforum.com/threads/tsb-14-0090-drivetrain-click-snap-on-initial-acceleration-ford-f150-ecoboost-3-5l-v6.102/

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is related information. I recently changed the fluids in the rear and front differentials and the transfer case, and the fluid from the front differential was milky and foamy indicating that it had water in it. Since the last change there have been no water crossings - nothing but driving under normal conditions. I haven't a clue how water got in there.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you’re spewing fluid through the breather hose, and the usage pattern hasn’t changed you should open up the diff, fill with fresh fluid and confirm no defective hose or fittings.

I got black flagged at summit point when my Mustang did this about 10 laps into the session. It was hot, but not brutal, but I was caning it pretty hard. All I got from the flaggers was ‘trailing blue smoke’, which I thought was profoundly bad. I rigged up a catch system to get me through the day, and had my local shop check everything out - NPF. Never had another problem or incident. I did have similar symptom on a previous truck. I did a water crossing, maybe 20 or so seconds tops(?) A couple days later I spied a lead on the diff cover and gasket. took to the dealer, changed the fluid and they suggested it might have been water in the fluid as a previous poster suggested.