CV half shaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my CV boots is torn apart and I figure that since I need to remove the axle to replace the boot I may as well just replace the entire thing, not just put on a new boot.

In order to remove the axle, do I need to unbolt things like caliper, tie rod and coilover in order to get it out? Or once the axle is unbolted I can shimmy it out and work the new one back in?

Last edited:

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dive in and find out.

You'll need to pull the UCA nut, and tie rod nut and knock them from the knuckle, and move the knuckle out of the way. It'll make it easier to remove 2 bolts from the caliper to pull the caliper and rotor. Remove nut under cap on hub, wiggle end of axle from hub, then yank on the axle and it will come out.

I have replaced just the boot, boot came from NAPA with grease and new clamps. Unless the CV is damaged, I wouldn't replace the whole thing unless you want to keep the old one as a spare.