Clunking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's normal, when you drive in 2h those don't move. Then in 4h or l there's a more positive engagement. To see what I'm talking about. Put in 4h (with truck running) and try moving with your hand.
The clunk you hear is when driving in the yoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

is there a way I can check if the yoke needs lubrication? im probably going to take it to the dealer Friday. Thank you for the response

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you haven't lubed it before and every oil change then yes you need to do it lol. Its a pretty common thing, should have a grease fitting for easy lube (i have done that) the clunk comes from the yoke splines (which are "softer" than the transmission side) wearing and developing play. So for the people that have never heard a clunk AND never lube...they will eventually get it.

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't lubed it before and every oil change then yes you need to do it lol. Its a pretty common thing, should have a grease fitting for easy lube (i have done that) the clunk comes from the yoke splines (which are "softer" than the transmission side) wearing and developing play. So for the people that have never heard a clunk AND never lube...they will eventually get it.

nope, never lubed that area of my truck that has 86k miles on it. thank you

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Took my truck to the dealer today and apparently I don't have a slip yoke problem since it's a one piece but he determined that it was the metal to metal contact on the heim joint that is making the sound since the 3.0 bypass kings come with metal bushings and not rubber like the stock shocks. I called king earlier and he stated the clicking/clunking sound I'm hearing were the opening and closing of the bypass tubes when the suspension is loading and unloading.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took my truck to the dealer today and apparently I don't have a slip yoke problem since it's a one piece but he determined that it was the metal to metal contact on the heim joint that is making the sound since the 3.0 bypass kings come with metal bushings and not rubber like the stock shocks. I called king earlier and he stated the clicking/clunking sound I'm hearing were the opening and closing of the bypass tubes when the suspension is loading and unloading.

That may be the case with the shocks. But the yoke makes no difference if it's one piece or two, they both need grease (all raptors are one)

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be the case with the shocks. But the yoke makes no difference if it's one piece or two, they both need grease (all raptors are one)

Apparently the yoke stays lubricated from the transfer case or something like that. I'm glad it just isn't a big issue to be honest. Big ups to @treypal for having a buddy of his check my truck out at the dealer.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Apparently the yoke stays lubricated from the transfer case or something like that. I'm glad it just isn't a big issue to be honest. Big ups to @treypal for having a buddy of his check my truck out at the dealer.

100% not. If that was the case the transfer case would eventually go dry. There is actually a tsb for this and all they do is remove and lube