Clunking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
metal rattling sound front end

Yesterday after I Revered my truck in my drive way I noticed that when I make a slightly fast stop, I heard a clunking sound. It only happens at very low speeds, less than 5 mph. Went under the truck and the cv joints have play in it and makes the noise I'm hearing inside the cab. Rattles when the weight shifts back and forth. Are these CV joints a problem on our trucks? Mines a 13 with 86k miles and haven't had any big problems with it since then. Hopefully the videos I posted with it I can get muiltiple inputs. Also, what's the cost of getting these done at the station and is it covered under warranty if I just installed 3.0 kings?

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

It's not accepting my videos for some reason

Last edited:

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's likely the slip yoke. That's normal for the cv's they have a bit of play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Front of driveshaft

378879276534fa0e6f6d180c039c161a.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Likely just needs to be greased

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front of driveshaft

378879276534fa0e6f6d180c039c161a.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Likely just needs to be greased

im sure that my cv axels shouldn't be making a rattling noise either but is there a way I can check if its the slip yoke?

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear diff smacks the yoke as it slips fore and aft. Certain trucks do it because the diff splines that fit into the slip yoke need lube. The DIY fix is to install a grease zerk so you can lube it at every oil change. There's a how to thread somewhere here,

This clunking is more an annoyance than a flaw, per se. I.e. Truck is designed that way.

Last edited:

cpetes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SVTLOPEZ I have the same sound and it has been diagnosed multiple times as slip yoke needing grease. Their right when they say its just more of an annoyance..

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SVTLOPEZ I have the same sound and it has been diagnosed multiple times as slip yoke needing grease. Their right when they say its just more of an annoyance..

I need new cv Axles anyway. What's your number bro. I'll send u a clip