Bumpstop and shackle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatGuy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got to two quick questions and wanna keep it simple my brain is fried and body is shot from sleeping on my creeper at work. But in the process of getting new rear suspension goodies. I am replacing my rear springs with WSI and shocks with FOX 3.0. I am also going to be putting an RPG bump stop kit and ADD frame gusset.

Now my question is for the bump stop the air shocks are not included. I was just curious if anyone new the demensions of what shock works for that system. The diameter, length and travel.

As for the shackles I have heard that is a good idea to run an aftermarket shackle with heavy springs to increase performance. Now with that do you want a longer or shorter shackle? Will that affect travel of the system? Ride hieght?

Definitely stupid questions and I know I should have searched but really short on free time. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

SilverBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bumpstops are 2.5" bumps.
As for the springs if you get the heavy-duty ones I think that's the same as +3 Deavers so you'll be an inch over stock for the ride height.
The frame gusset setup if I were you I would make your own that seems pretty expensive for what it is.

NC Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how or why your doing the ADD Frame Gusset and the RPG Bump Kit together... but anyways, as far as I know most kits on the market use either a Fox or King bump with a 2.5" cylinder and a 2.5" stroke... however you should still check with the manufacturer to be sure...

Regarding the shackles, some say that because of the stronger construction and better bushings you should experience some improvement, but will you feel it... most likely not... I think most of us that added stock length shackles with our leafs did it just for the hell of it because we already had the rear end apart...

Also, as it was explained to me by the guys at SVC, the primary purpose of longer or shorter shackles (I have only ever heard of people using longer ones...) is to adjust the ride height... However longer shackles can net you some additional droop travel... But only when you pair them with a bed cage style setup that has the additional shock travel to allow for it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Unless the WSI leaf has been modified it tends to hit the RPG bump stops upon compression. I thought ADD frame gusset was part of their bump stop kit so I haven't seen them together.

I have 1.5" longer shackles. It helps with further droop and also allows for the rear to sit more level since I went with the ICON leafs that came with the RXT system and added the extra leaf.

I did at one time have WSI leafs with the RPG bumpstop but has been removed

OP
OP
ThatGuy88

ThatGuy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I read and was told but was a very brief conversation they would work together but dont think thats the case luckly the hammer wasnt dropped on that. Chalk that up to lack of sleep. was trying to do as much as possible to beef up the frame since it is one of the many week points. The shackles I wasnt sure about becuase if its anything like my old wheelin days of blazer's and bronco's the longer the shackle the more flex and travel out of the spring.

sandtrooper29

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has far has shackles. Yes longer will allow for more down travel. With WSI HD you will sit about an 1" high over stock. And then you can do a 1"-1.5" longer Shackle and then sit back about to stock. Also depends on the weight you carry in the truck to the ride height. I ran this exact setup until I went to a bypass rack.

As far a bumps. If you are buying all new and wanting the frame gusset then just buy the complete ADD kit. Going to run you about the same money. By the time you by the RPG bump kit, then bumps and the frame gusset. Plus if you you get the add total kit. You are not going to have to worry about the two different manufactures product not fittings together.

I run the entire ADD bump kit and frame gusset and have had no problems.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by a very reputable raptor shop that the ADD frame gusset is not a great idea cause it messes with the crumple zones if you ever are hit badly from the rear. Over stiffening the frame there will cause other parts of the frame to bend that weren't designed to in that event and may cause more harm to the driver and passengers. Not saying that guys should take them off the trucks that have them on now, but something to just consider before purchasing.

OP
OP
ThatGuy88

ThatGuy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add frame support is out, got an idea for air bumps to slap in. Main thing now is just the shackles. I would like to keeep the stock ride height so thinking 1.5"