Blown Shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, shit...

RapShock.jpg

...Fluid all over the place as you'd expect... both shocks are leaking, but the drivers side is the one with the cap blown off. Any advise getting this covered under warranty? 56k miles, extended warranty. Yuma, AZ Ford is NOT friendly with warranty claims.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
56K? My advice is give up on warranty.

Sorry man, I replaced all of mine at 50K (extended warranty didn't matter). I did successfully get one covered under warranty at around 30K.

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is just a plastic cap covering the holes used to remove the shock seal assembly.

Fox recommends the shocks be rebuilt at certain intervals based on driving situations.

The shocks may weep a bit of fluid, are the shock bodies completely saturated with oil?

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's definitely blown a seal. Its cheap to rebuild them yourself, the trouble comes in the the specialty tools you need as most people do not have them.

If you are interested in having them rebuilt, check out www.forged-offroad.com

OP
OP
SchultzLD

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaand, you're all correct. Got told nothing they can do unless the shock was damaged physically from a covered failed component of the truck... like if the transmission exploded and shrapnel took out the shock, then they'd cover it... maybe.

Anyways, I've got a good offer for an almost brand new shock, so now I'm soliciting for another one to have a matching "new" set. I like the rebuild exchange idea, but the price might be right one the new set.

What's the "average" end price for a rebuild? I see the upfront prices, but what's the average actual price after the "additional charges"? 7-8 would be easily justifiable imo. And is that for just the front, or all four corners?

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all of the prices I've seen for a rebuild were for all 4 corners. I could be wrong though. I know I get closer to 1000 but I'm looking to add some extra options if I pay someone else to do it.

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on if your shocks have any actual damage to them(shafts, bushings caps etc)
Basic rebuild cost for all 4 shocks is $500 +shipping and obviously any upgrades through us.