Axle hop explaination and a cheap cure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had already been thinking about adding a new secondary leaf, and this thread pushed me over the edge. Just installed the new leaves today. I just went with the leaves, no re-arching of the factory leaves.

I needed to add some spring to the rear to compensate for the 253 lbs. of gear that I always haul in the bed of the truck. I hadn't hit them hard yet, but I was hitting the factory bumps gently but regularly during even casual offroading.

I chose this route over Deavers or Nationals for two reasons: cost and weight. Cost of these leaves with new center bolts, plastic anti-squeak pads, and tax was $167.67 US. They weigh 20 lbs. each. My local spring place in Michigan looked the Raptor up in his catalog and said that I needed part number SXL-4310 Booster Leaves. He had them in stock. These leaves are 3/8" thick and 58.25" long, which is exactly what I was after. The center holes were punched perfectly and everything; all I added was paint.

My father and I were able to do this job in my garage in about 2 hours. We started by jacking up the truck and putting stands under the frame ahead of the rear axle. We then took the wheels off and lowered the axle to the end of the shock travel. We then removed the u-bolts, the center bolts, and the bottom leaf.
P2280003.JPG

Next we used a large pipe wrench to open up one side of the clamps on the factory second leaf. Once this was done, we removed the second leaf from the truck, while leaving the main leaf on the truck.
P2280005.JPG

Once out of the truck we opened up the other side of the clamps and removed the stock plastic pieces (no room for them with the new leaf).
P2280006.JPG

I bought extra long center bolts (4" vs. stock 2.5") just in case the arch of the new springs was significatnly different. It wasn't, so 3" center bolts would have been more than sufficient, but the longer bolts don't hurt anything. Putting it back together was just a matter of reassembling the spring pack with the new leaves between the stock mains and stock second leaves. Closing those clamps back up was the hardest part of the whole job, requiring creative use of a hammer, c-clamp, and pipe wrench in the limited space available. A torch would have made it easier, but I didn't have one handy and there are a lot of plastic anti-squeak bits nearby that likely would have suffered. I also didn't feel like removing the mains.

P2280001.JPG

P2280004.JPG

P2280007.JPG

P2280008.JPG

I gained a little more height that I was estimating, so I hope they settle in a bit. The truck currently sits 2.25" higher at the rear tires and 3" higher at the hitch. I neglected to take "before" pictures, but here are some taken afterwards. The gap below the bump stop is noticeably larger.

P2280010.JPG

P2280011.JPG

P2280012.JPG

P2280013.JPG

Believe it or not, the truck actually rides a bit softer both on and offroad. Before installing these new leaves, the bottom leaf (what I would call an "overload" leaf on any other truck) was always engaged. Now it isn't. Suprisingly I can't even feel when it engages.

I took it out for a spirited offroad run this afternoon that included some large whoops, and the bumps stops didn't touch at all, so mission accomplished.

It sits a bit tail-high now, so if the new leaves don't settle like I expect, I'll likely go up to the middle perch in the front. I seem to be forgetting that my goal was to leave this one stock...

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck-side.jpg

This is after the lift front and rear.

........ plenty of room for my 37's this summer :)
So the big question is, can you still fit under the mid-size (6'6"?) gates at the mall? haha. I would imagine that's a definite no with 37's, but it would be interesting to know how it is before that.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what about axle hop?

I had personally never had a problem with axle hop, and still don't. That said, adding these leaves should have significantly reduced the chances of axle hop. This was merely a secondary consideration in my planning.

I should also note that I did not notice any of the "you have to drive it to believe it" improvements that people are reporting with the Deaver and National packs. Maybe someday I'll take a ride in one of those trucks and decide to go that route, but for now this solution solved my problem and I'm happy.

OP
OP
A

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the truck actually rides a bit softer both on and offroad.

I took it out for a spirited offroad run this afternoon that included some large whoops, and the bumps stops didn't touch at all, so mission accomplished.

It sits a bit tail-high now, so if the new leaves don't settle like I expect, I'll likely go up to the middle perch in the front. I seem to be forgetting that my goal was to leave this one stock...

I am very happy for you, I wouldn't count on it sagging down too much. Mine hasn't moved at all. To keep at factory height you could have replaced the factory second leaf with this one, but I was aiming for a higher lift.

I am also experiencing the zero bump stop contact.

So the big question is, can you still fit under the mid-size (6'6"?) gates at the mall? haha. I would imagine that's a definite no with 37's, but it would be interesting to know how it is before that.

I was more concerned with my garage and it still fits :)

I had personally never had a problem with axle hop, and still don't. That said, adding these leaves should have significantly reduced the chances of axle hop. This was merely a secondary consideration in my planning.

I should also note that I did not notice any of the "you have to drive it to believe it" improvements that people are reporting with the Deaver and National packs. Maybe someday I'll take a ride in one of those trucks and decide to go that route, but for now this solution solved my problem and I'm happy.

I am surprised you had no wheel hop, but I know too that the spring addition made my wheel hop disappear completely so you never will experience it lol.

I did have a "you have to drive it to believe it" feeling as I am dead straight on washboard and my bump stops aren't even close to contacting.

I am really glad you trusted in this and the results were awesome.

Go middle perch now :)

Jeff

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

KeithS one last thing.

The spring guy I talked to said you can throw 200-300 lbs of sand bags inside the tailgate edge and run the vehicle like that to force the springs to sag out to whatever height you desire.

I asked him as I came in about 1/2 to 1 high and he said I could do that to drop it down.

Once you reach the level you want remove some bags till it reaches the right level again...continue to do this until it's correct height with no bags.

Jeff

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

P2280008.JPG

great photo as it shows the correct distance to front eyelet on the new "second" leaf you added.

love it!

OP
OP
A

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

or you could do this to the rear:

Shackle

jeff

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so If i replace the second spring with this spring, I can keep factory ride hight and get rid of wheel hop?

Yes I want to know about that as well.

I have wheel hop with the diff locked, been like that since day one.
I sometimes get it when the diff open.

Now I have the Whipple installed and my first try to launch without power braking with the diff locked scared me to death.
I though the rear was going to rip off.

I want to do nice 2 wheel burn outs! But I don't want to beat the shit out of her.

And I very much want to keep the ride height, so my question is,

If I add the new extra leaf and get that drop down shackle, will the ride height remain the same?

And what do you think? Will the one added leaf hold up to a Whipple from wheel hop?

I have not done any perch adjustments.

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I want to know about that as well.

I have wheel hop with the diff locked, been like that since day one.
I sometimes get it when the diff open.

Now I have the Whipple installed and my first try to launch without power braking with the diff locked scared me to death.
I though the rear was going to rip off.

I want to do nice 2 wheel burn outs! But I don't want to beat the shit out of her.

And every much want to keep the ride height, so my question is,

If I add the new extra leaf and get that drop down shackle, will the ride height remain the same?

And what do you think? Will the one added leaf hold up to a Whipple from wheel hop?

I have not done any perch adjustments.

Have you looked at the procomp traction bars? If your truck spends most of the time on the street it maybe an easier option then re working the springs.