Anyone got a write up for fox 3.0 coil over installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This statement concerns me, 20% is quite a bit.
"Because of friction in the gearbox, torque measurements could be off as much as (±20%) when using The Ratchet Helper. We recommend that you don’t use the Ratchet Helper for final torquing of a bolt or nut."

Agreed, this statement doesn't instill the most confidence. I can say that I have used the torque multiplier three times on the LCA shock bolt (I bought new bolts each time too) over the past four years and I haven't had any trouble with them coming loose. I would be interested in what people are using to achieve 400+ ft/lbs without a torque multiplier though. Even with the multiplier, getting up to that torque takes some effort.

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, this statement doesn't instill the most confidence. I can say that I have used the torque multiplier three times on the LCA shock bolt (I bought new bolts each time too) over the past four years and I haven't had any trouble with them coming loose. I would be interested in what people are using to achieve 400+ ft/lbs without a torque multiplier though. Even with the multiplier, getting up to that torque takes some effort.

Achieving 406 ft/lbs on lower shock nut
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...forum.com/showthread.php?t=39058&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you purchased a digital torque gauge, a 3’ bar and adapter to get the job done?

Since this is occasional, I am wondering if it just wouldn’t be easier to go to the dealership and have them torque the nut. They should have the proper tool for this.

It was relatively cheap and I don’t trust the dealerships around me. Plus I have the tools if something were to happen on a run or an event.

D

Deleted member 12951

I ended up getting that same tool and just arrived today along with the replacement bolt and nut from Tasca Parts.

I found their website and it seems they really sell this more so to take off nuts vs. using it to multiple torque.

https://www.cheaterbarsales.com/how-to-use/

This statement concerns me, 20% is quite a bit.
"Because of friction in the gearbox, torque measurements could be off as much as (±20%) when using The Ratchet Helper. We recommend that you don’t use the Ratchet Helper for final torquing of a bolt or nut."

Well I ended installing the shocks and used this so-called torque multiplier. There is so much spring tension from the gears on this thing, I could not use a longer heavy duty torque wrench that goes up to 250lb (had it set to 81). I ended up using a shorter 100lb one after lifting the truck up high enough so I can swing the wrench nearly a full circle to get the wrench to click. You could not ratchet with this thing. I do not feel overly confident with how it worked. Thinking on my next oil change, I will take it to the dealership and check the torque on it, for peace of mind.

D

Deleted member 12951

Well it looks like I somewhat screwed up. Today I was planning on adjusting the preload and raise the front an inch or more. I measure where my ICONS had my front at 41.25” and the new Fox out of the box has my front down lower by a little more than an inch.

I recall when we put the first Fox shock in, the pinch bolt on the ring was visible so I knew I would be able to loosen it to adjust. When we installed the 2nd one, didn’t even bother to look and got it installed.

Well today, I noticed the the pinch bolt on the passenger side is no where to be seen. It has to be all the way on the back side against the frame bucket. WTF! Why would Fox do that when their instructions tell you to install the shocks first and then adjust preload height?

Anyone ran into this and were you able to get to it without having to remove the shock again? Kinda pissed at myself for not catching this but what a PITA if I do have to remove the shock again.

Driver side is good:
b1c8af90828e642decc38db00b39214a.jpg

Passenger side, WTF is the pinch bolt? Yeah sure sucks for me.
84cfebc28b406c4867c656c03f6bbe96.jpg

Anyone successful at turning the adjustment collar without loosening the pinch bolt? Would need just enough to I could get to it.

Also are you able to compress the coil without having to use a spring compressor? I was able to with the ICONs, it took some doing but was not that bad.

To the credit of ICON at least their set screw out of the box was always in front of the adjustment collar.

OP
OP
FordraptorHero

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
im also having issues with the pinch bolt after loosening the one on my right shock to adjust it i couldnt get the collar to compress fully back together so now there is a half inch gap inbetween which concerns me

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can take the load off The shock, undo the top 3 bolts and twist the shock to get access and break the pinch bolt loose. Then re-assemble.

You do not need to compress the spring. If you get the Wrench from fox, spray some wd40 on the body, and get yourself a 2.25” pvc pipe about 2’ long and use it as a cheater. Metal pipe isn’t required.

You don’t even have to jack the truck up, you can make adjustments on the fly.

Just make sure you can get to the pinch bolt when you stop and make your adjustments.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

You can take the load off The shock, undo the top 3 bolts and twist the shock to get access and break the pinch bolt loose. Then re-assemble.

You do not need to compress the spring. If you get the Wrench from fox, spray some wd40 on the body, and get yourself a 2.25” pvc pipe about 2’ long and use it as a cheater. Metal pipe isn’t required.

You don’t even have to jack the truck up, you can make adjustments on the fly.

Just make sure you can get to the pinch bolt when you stop and make your adjustments.

Thanks for the response. Get the idea of removing the 3 top bolts but will you be able to turn the shock enough when still mounted to the LCA?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Get the idea of removing the 3 top bolts but will you be able to turn the shock enough when still mounted to the LCA?

Yeah, you only need access enough to get an Allen wrench to the pinch nut. If not there should be enough lateral movement to get access