Airbags: Uses and Limits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bratch

Reaction score
I've had my 2014 Screw for about 10 days and I continue to read and learn about it. One thing the previous owner installed was a set of rear airbags.

This is my first truck with airbags so I've had to research to figure out what they are used for. I'm not planning to tow or haul regularly so I don't think they will be super beneficial to me. I've also noticed that on some bumps the back end is quite a bit rougher going over them, one thread I read said that could be the bags without any weight in the truck.

I would like to do some light off roading in the truck and take it to an off-road/rally class to learn the ropes. From what I've read the factory bump stops are removed to install the airbags, how would having airbags and no bump stops affect its off-road performance? Am I at risk of damaging the frame?

For a mainly daily driver with limited hauling/towing and limited but hopefully expanding off-road use would you recommend keeping the airbags or changing out to an aftermarket bump stop kit? I'm assuming I can't do both.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2014 Screw for about 10 days and I continue to read and learn about it. One thing the previous owner installed was a set of rear airbags.

This is my first truck with airbags so I've had to research to figure out what they are used for. I'm not planning to tow or haul regularly so I don't think they will be super beneficial to me. I've also noticed that on some bumps the back end is quite a bit rougher going over them, one thread I read said that could be the bags without any weight in the truck.

I would like to do some light off roading in the truck and take it to an off-road/rally class to learn the ropes. From what I've read the factory bump stops are removed to install the airbags, how would having airbags and no bump stops affect its off-road performance? Am I at risk of damaging the frame?

For a mainly daily driver with limited hauling/towing and limited but hopefully expanding off-road use would you recommend keeping the airbags or changing out to an aftermarket bump stop kit? I'm assuming I can't do both.
In my opinion:
Air bags are typically used in vehicles that will tow/haul big loads. The main drawback from my perspective is that they can limit suspension travel that you will need even during light off road use. If you are not planning on towing a lot then I would remove them as the drawbacks out weight the benefits.

Do not go off road without bump stops! Stock fine aftermarket even better but you need a bump stop there to limit suspension travel and prevent damage. I don't do anything hard core in my truck and have not had any problems with the stock bump stops. Aftermarket is a must if you plan to run hard as it will relocate the bump stop to prevent frame damage during hard use and improve ride quality.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk